UK Coppa Italia recommision

wavey_davey1

Finally, removed rear wheel ready for tyre change and UJ greasing etc. There's a patch of corrosion under the swing-arm forward box section, but it's pretty localised and difficult to see, so will apply some satin paint after treating the rust, rather than a full swing-arm out and powdercoat job. Same with the front subframe, that's just flaked a very small amount on the edges of the fastener bosses. The red paint on my old greenie frame fell off like leaves in Autumn, this seems much better.

Wheel and rear diff bearings and splines all look ok, will obviously grease the non-sealed ones along with the UJs. 

rear_subframe.jpeg

• Like 2

Is that "clear coat" on the tank ? 

Now , at my former place of employment , we were under the tutelage of a 24 yr old Anne Murray and this was her first job as a foreman . We were told what to use and how to do it.

After The Beast of Belsen went back inside someone else said "this is what I've been doing" , so we did it the easy way. 

• Haha 1

Do remove the shifter shaft bolt and make sure it is greased . Also install the shift extender to make it seem like the best Jap bike in existence. You want to get this running and then go "whole hog" on the refurbishing !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gstallons said:

Do remove the shifter shaft bolt and make sure it is greased . Also install the shift extender to make it seem like the best Jap bike in existence. You want to get this running and then go "whole hog" on the refurbishing !

Ahh, except there isn't one! Or at least not one that goes through the pork chop 😁. Check out the photo of the rearsets on page 2. No idea what the linkage leverage will work like until I ride it, but I do have the standard pegs and linkages that came with the bike.

rearsets_gear_s.jpg

Edited by docc
docc added image
  • Like 1

On 9/29/2024 at 3:52 PM, gstallons said:

I will have to look at the parts manual to see about this or this innovation ?

Pretty sure that is an aftermarket "footpeg" arrangement. Not sure who marketed that particular one (?)

Notably, the footpeg, itself, is missing in that view . . .

• Like 1

I'm not sure who mfd. this rear set kit ? I doubt if you can find the replacement stuff for this kit either. Look around and if you don't do any good , go back w/factory stuff and get the un(not as)breakable rear brake lever.

As per my comments regarding the rearsets on page 2 of this thread. They're made by a Japanese  company called Vital Spirits but not a lot of information online other than the name cropping up on the odd Japanese bike dealer websites? 

These DO look like the footpeg arrangement was specific to the v11 and move the pegs back and up about an inch. This seems to be the opposite of most other v11 footpeg mods with Centauro pegs lowering them ( for comfort) for example. 

I do have the other footpeg and will give them a go as I have quite short legs, but can't really see the point? Maybe the p o wanted the Guzzi optional "ergal" pegs and this was cheaper or just all that was available, who knows? I also have the standard kit if needed later, though need to check it's all there.

Am planning on refitting the sump this week as new stainless sump fasteners have arrived and then I can do a compression check on the starter motor.

Hopefully the injectors will also arrive back from their service and maybe, just maybe, I can wake the sleeping princess!👸

Except I'm waiting for some guzzidiag leads...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, wavey_davey1 said:

Except I'm waiting for some guzzidiag leads...

I would not let that delay your start-up as all you can change with guzzidiag is the CO Fuel Trim. You can definitely do that later. You are doing all of the important stuff. On the "tune-up", most important is new sparkplugs, valve adjustment, and TPS baseline. Once started, a throttle body balance is in order. :luigi:

Having seen CO Fuel Trim values in the negative double digits, it will be curious where you find it before setting to zero . . . :nerd:

• Like 1

Funnily enough, while lying awake in the early hours last night (something I do a LOT) I realised I didn't need the guzzidiag stuff just yet as the TPS is with a multimeter. 

This also arrived a few minutes ago from John Woolfe Racing, the only supplier of VHT products (like copper spray for gaskets) I've found in the UK. The rear bevel box is a mess, rest of the cases just need touching up here and there. Hoping this is a good match, recommended by Scud.

case paint.jpeg

• Like 3

The freshly serviced injectors were waiting for me when I got home today. The ASNU report showed they were in pretty good condition before the service with "good" spray patterns and flow rates of 296 & 292 cc/min Vs 300cc/min for both after the service.

This is good news as either someone has already cleaned or serviced them or I suspect they've been stored dry (?) which should mean the pump will be ok too.

This is guesswork on my part and I know injectors suffer less from ethanol than carbs but good news anyway?