V11 Ballabio 2004 - Weird electrical problem after storing bike 1 year

vinguzzi

Hope you guys can make sense of this - I'm flabbergasted..!

My 2004 Ballabio (well taken care of) has been stored in a dry garage for about 1 year and after reinstalling the tendered and charged battery I tried to start it. Fuel pump kicked in after switching ignition on and off for 3 times but after pressing the start button, only a click from the relais could be heard - no crancing.

And now it comes: when switching off the ignition and removing the key from ignition the headlight stayed on!! Quite weird.... This never happened before storing the bike. Other observations: Neutral light didn't come on (was working fine before storing), other dash lights, indicators, high beam and horn worked normal.

I've checked fuses and swapped relais but to no avail (have a spare). Headlight went out when removing its fuse. Battery measures 12.4V - Optimate charger indicates no issues with it.

Anybody with an idea? Forum searching indicates this could this be an ignition key switch problem? Shall I open it and do the cleaning? But what is the logic of the headlight remaining on in relation to it sitting for a year?? And it is not crancking aswell... Is it a grounding problem? Both?

https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/topic/16615-ignition-switch-problems/?_fromLogin=1

Any help is much appreciated :)

Thank you,
Vincent

First I'd load test the battery. Voltage readings mean practically nothing. Once I knew the battery was good, I'd clean and apply fresh Vaseline to the ignition switch. Spritzing Caig DeOxit on the relays and relay bases is always a good thing.

• Like 2

No problem .Ā  the neutral switch is at fault . Remove it spray contact cleaner on it and work it a LOT and then check continuityĀ  w an meter to see if it closes and opens. Reinstall and go.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gstallons said:

No problem .Ā  the neutral switch is at fault . Remove it spray contact cleaner on it and work it a LOT and then check continuityĀ  w an meter to see if it closes and opens. Reinstall and go.

I sometimes find the knowledge here near annoying. Ā :P

That is especially true with automotive electrics, a subject that I know less about than quantum physics. Ā :doh:

Well played, @gstallions, tho deep in my adolescent heart, I almost hope you are wrong, if only so I'll feel less stupid.Ā Ā :grin:

To put this in context, I am happy simply to have found TDC on my V85 yesterday and having it start and run without hemorrhaging oil after installing the fidgety oil filter. Ā :luigi:

Naturally, I had help ... who, BTW, told me she would make me into a castrato if I posted this pic. Ā :blink:

Ā 

i-bmnvFjD-L.jpg

Ā 

I'll try still to be a tenor when I get to Tellico Plains for the SSR. Ā 

Apologies to @vinguzzi,Ā the OP, for hijacking his thread, but no time here ... Kathi is looking through the knife drawer! Ā :o

Bill

Ā 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Thank you for the compliments.Ā 

But , this bike ain't started yet .Ā Ā 

Also , I have made a lot of mistakes getting this far. Education comes from two sources .

Ā 1 authority; don't stick your finger in that light socket

Ā 2 experience; I stuck my finger in the light socket with exciting results

• Haha 4

Experience is a tough teacher. She gives you the test first.. then the lesson. :oldgit: :D

Oh, btw.. a bad neutral switch wouldn't make the headlight stay on after turning the ignition off..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good point that there is more than one problem at hand.

+1 on testing/conditioning/or replacing the battery. While voltage could be "fine", yet the battery will not carry a load, 12.4 volts from an AGM battery is essentially "dead."Ā 

Ā 

• Like 2

I woud take a piece of wire from + on the starter to the solenoid, starter and battery test.Ā Ā 

Cheers Tom.

• Like 1

First make sure the bike is in in N before you get started.

Ā  If you would , try touching a hot wire to the start sol. on the starter to see if it works. If it does , go back to relay #1 and swap with another relay . Even though you experienced a relay click doesn't mean the relay works.Ā 

Ā 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, docc said:

Good point that there is more than one problem at hand.

+1 on testing/conditioning/or replacing the battery. While voltage could be "fine", yet the battery will not carry a load, 12.4 volts from an AGM battery is essentially "dead."Ā 

Ā 

Great observations, thanks for sharing wisdom in abundance!Ā 

I didn't think of the neutral light switch, but this being faulty would not allow the fuel pump to prime and the start Relais to click, right?Ā 

I'm definately going to do a stress test of the battery. If it's faulty a good clean of the ignition switch might hopefully kill two birds with two stones.Ā 

I've changed the rectifier 2 years ago and checked all mayor connections, earth, and did the additional earth strap then..Ā 

Bike storage is quite far from my house unfortunately, but I have the battery with me.Ā 

Thanks again and will report back šŸ‘

Ā 

• Like 3

No , on second thought this N switch will only fix the N light . To make it quicker , unplug the N switch and touch it to a good earth (ground) and the light should come on .

Ā If you are having to travel to the bike , make a list of things to do and an order of what to do. Do make sure the battery is UP to at least 12.65v . IDK what the AGM battery is fully charged.Ā 

• Like 2

I have 04 Ballabio as well.

You might consider booster cables to a known working car battery to eliminate battery as issue.Ā 
I think with clutch lever pulled in it should turn over even if not in neutral?

Also confirm kick stand cutout is not a problem ( only active if in gear ), and should still turn over with clutch lever pulled, with kickstand down.

If does not turn over with above, may want to look into starter relay issues.Ā 

• Like 2

As I am old, simple and half blind, I wanted a simple, easy to read start circuit diagram to load into my phone to refer to if stuck somewhere with no cell service. Might be helpful to others trying to remember how the circuit is laid out w/o a schematic in front of them. assuming it is drawn correctly etc.

Ā 

V11startRev4.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Wife's new-fangled toothbrush was operating intermittently, then not at all. Opened it and saw that water had leeched in past the seal and there was corrosion on the circuit board. Fixed it with a.......toothbrush. After cleaning the board, the spousal smile was restored. Given this, I would suspect the ignition switch internals. And grounds all around, as non-use is not kind to electro-mechanical devices.

• Like 3