V11 drive shaft play

nuevototem

Hi team!

What do you think about the play in this drive shaft? Is it normal that it's not completely tight? Also, how much torque (in Nm) do you use on those two screws?

Thanks!

It is hard to see, but is that input shaft movement in and out of the bevel drive or the driveshaft yoke moving on the input shaft?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Hi Docc!!! this is what is happening, the cardan shaft (2) is the one that is moving... the cardan angle drive (29) is fine. What torque nm is needed in screws (3)?

image.png

pixel_trans.gif

pixel_trans.gif

Edited by nuevototem

2 hours ago, docc said:

It is hard to see, but is that input shaft movement in and out of the bevel drive or the driveshaft yoke moving on the input shaft?

It's the final drive end. Firstly, I think I can accurately remember what it looks like. Secondly, you wouldn't be able to get that camera angle at the gearbox end. :huh2:

Ah, yes the cardan shaft yokes should be clamped tightly (at both ends).

The 6mm bolts are torqued 8-12 Nm. Correction: 8mm x 1,25 pitch/ torque spec is 25-30Nm.

Because of the pinching action, go back and forth between the two until they are torqued the same since tightening one will loosen the other until they are finally the same.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A thought occurred to me: with that much movement in the rear uni joint on the shaft, I'd be inclined to take the shaft out, pull it apart and inspect the sliding joint in the middle where the second grease nipple is. If that is not moving smoothly, there will be forces caused by suspension movement on both ends of the shaft, which could cause that sort of movement in the uni joint. And not be good for the uni joints at both ends. :huh2:

Edited by audiomick

1 hour ago, docc said:

Ah, yes the cardan shaft yokes should be clamped tightly (at both ends).

The 6mm bolts are torqued 8-12 Nm. Because of the pinching action, go back and forth between the two until they are torqued the same since tightening one will loosen the other until they are finally the same.

Isn't it 8mm bolts, so 8-12nm will not do it.

Cheers Tom.

54 minutes ago, Tomchri said:

Cheers Tom.

Hmmm, I measured the holes in the yoke instead of the bolts, themselves. I will check my work when home in a few hours....

Thanks, @Tomchri!

1 hour ago, Tomchri said:

Yes, I believe I believe it is. I changed mine last year, so there is a vague memory. And this:

https://www.stein-dinse.biz/etkataloge/etkataloge.php?l=de&h=MG&m=220&t=5384#a174923

Part #3 in the diagramme. When I click on the link, it is highlighted in yellow in the list.

M8 x 30

Edited by audiomick
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tomchri said:

Cheers Tom.

1 hour ago, audiomick said:

Yes, I believe I believe it is. I changed mine last year, so there is a vague memory. And this:

https://www.stein-dinse.biz/etkataloge/etkataloge.php?l=de&h=MG&m=220&t=5384#a174923

Part #3 in the diagramme. When I click on the link, it is highlighted in yellow in the list.

M8 x 30

Thank you both for the correct contribution. Measuring the actual bolt cross references to @audiomick's link as 8mm x 1,25 thread pitch.

The Workshop Manual lists this torque as 25-30 Nm.

Original post corrected. My apologies and thank you, all, again for checking the posts here for correctness and accuracy! :thumbsup:

• Like 3

21 hours ago, docc said:

Thank you both for the correct contribution. Measuring the actual bolt cross references to @audiomick's link as 8mm x 1,25 thread pitch.

The Workshop Manual lists this torque as 25-30 Nm.

Original post corrected. My apologies and thank you, all, again for checking the posts here for correctness and accuracy! :thumbsup:

:mg:  :luigi:  :rasta:  :bier:.

Cheers Tom.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1