How to edit the engine map for a V11 15M ECU?

nuevototem

Hello Meinolf...

Reading your description above, I'm cautiously optimistic to try and upgrade from your old map.  All other settings are still spot on as per your prior instructions.

Do you believe this new map could help eliminate the minor cough/hiccup present at 3K RPM's today?  

Will install it tomorrow and give it a go...Thanks!

• Like 1

Well I loaded the new Meinolf map this morning and set CO trim to 10 and it is remarkably better than the older Meinolf map and Co trim at zero.  Maybe there’s something slightly worn out on my bike but it doesn’t seem to like CO trim at zero, the bike feels too lean and seems to starve at higher Rpm’s.  Will run this combo for a while and see and evaluate for longer term results.

Edited by PJPR01
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, nuevototem said:

Hi!

Did the cough/hiccup present at 3K RPM get fixed?

Regards!

It’s very minor now and much better than before…it seems to now occur around 2750 rpm’s…but much less than before.  Will keep riding it more and see how it behaves long term.  Given that it’s such a momentary issue …it’s a minor issue overall…but you know we like to search for perfection!

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, PJPR01 said:

It’s very minor now and much better than before…it seems to now occur around 2750 rpm’s…but much less than before.  Will keep riding it more and see how it behaves long term.  Given that it’s such a momentary issue …it’s a minor issue overall…but you know we like to search for perfection!

I've mentioned before the ignition timing step on the std map at the low throttle angles of 4.2 and 5.1 degrees at the problematical rpm. Standard map is and 18degree ignition advance between 2200 and 2700 rpm at 4.2 degrees. Meinolfs map has cut this to around 7 degrees in the same general area although he's changed the rpm break points a little so a perfect comparison isn't available. He's also pulled some timing out at the same rpm range at 5.2 throttle angle as well so if this has reduced the issue then if it was me I'd pull a bit more out at the same ranges and see if that cures it. You can't get tuning right 100% on lambda readings alone, feel and lots of miles in varying riding conditions comes into it as well. My old engine would cough at times and then you couldn't make it if you tried. Maybe the issue is just a mechanical design issue at the end of the day if it can't be tuned out. The v11 engine may just have a small area of combustion instability under certain conditions due to the combustion chamber and piston crown design. Not sure, but if the Meinolf map has improved the issue noticeably I'd try pulling some more advance out of it at those rpm and throttle break points and see if it goes away. If not then put it back in again. Nothing to lose.

Phil      

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

That was very educational...thank you Phil.  I'm going to read that a couple more times.  Just back from a nice 150 miler on the Scura...I was also pondering whether or not this has a component of electrical to it, and not just fuel.  Is it possible that aged coils (I don't know if they are original, but I'm curious if I were to find a brand new pair) if that would make any difference on providing a better quality spark.  With fresh plugs and very fresh wires, the only thing I've never changed on the bike are coils.  I've got some old used California coils...maybe interesting to try them out.

Overall, so my "sensation" of the lower RPM cough occurrence at around 2750 vs 3K prior, am I interpreting that correctly from your description above?

The bike is such an amazing bike to ride...I'd like to continue on the eternal quest for perfection...

Mileage appears to be in the 40-42mpg range, so that seems satisfactory also.

2 minutes ago, PJPR01 said:

That was very educational...thank you Phil.  I'm going to read that a couple more times.  Just back from a nice 150 miler on the Scura...I was also pondering whether or not this has a component of electrical to it, and not just fuel.  Is it possible that aged coils (I don't know if they are original, but I'm curious if I were to find a brand new pair) if that would make any difference on providing a better quality spark.  With fresh plugs and very fresh wires, the only thing I've never changed on the bike are coils.  I've got some old used California coils...maybe interesting to try them out.

Overall, so my "sensation" of the lower RPM cough occurrence at around 2750 vs 3K prior, am I interpreting that correctly from your description above?

The bike is such an amazing bike to ride...I'd like to continue on the eternal quest for perfection...

Mileage appears to be in the 40-42mpg range, so that seems satisfactory also.

Not sure. My bike with the old engine did it with a new timing sensor, old sensor, new and older plugs and even with the timing chain replaced by gears which dispelled the theory it was timing chain slack/tensioner.

Phil

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

The original ignition advance mapping is far from "smooth" at those rpm with low throttle openings.

Anatomy of a "hiccup" . . .

Messages%20Image(4016287376).png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I’m wondering…do the other V11 variants like the California, Vintage or any other V11 (excluding the Lemans, Ballabio, Scura, RC, Coppa,Nero) also suffer from this elusive 3K cough?  

Edited by PJPR01

What I am wondering is can I "run" Tunerpro in Windows simulation on a MAC as I have GuzzuDiag running well on my Macbook with O/S Catalina?   Or is my only choice hoping to get a Beetle Map that I can downnload, hopefully with my mac that the Reader & Writer software will see? 

57 minutes ago, Sempervee1 said:

What I am wondering is can I "run" Tunerpro in Windows simulation on a MAC as I have GuzzuDiag running well on my Macbook with O/S Catalina?   Or is my only choice hoping to get a Beetle Map that I can downnload, hopefully with my mac that the Reader & Writer software will see? 

Hi Mike...I presume you're inquiring for your Norge.

It's a lot easier to buy a Beetle map for the Norge and save your original map to your computer using the Reader, then upload your new Beetle map using the Writer.  After that follow all the steps in Guzzidiag to make sure all the steps are done...including resetting TPS electronically, Autolearning parameters are done...and you're ready to go.  If you have an aftermarket exhaust pipe, look for the map that is mentioned on Beetle's page with that exhaust brand/model, and if you don't see it, send him a message, and he'll make one for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2