How to edit the engine map for a V11 15M ECU?

nuevototem

Hi Paul, You are correct, it's about "VroomHilda".  Runs very smoothly, starts easy, idles well -  and terrible gas mileage in the low to mid 30's - if a bit rich,  I believe.  I ONLY feed her Ethanol free Premium as a steady diet. Beetle map is probably the easiest best route.  I got the bike with an Austrailian "Staintune" pipe installed and all else is stock. I have everything dialed in via GuzziDIag and will be checking valves this weekend and rechecking TPS, Throttle body sync, etc...

• Like 1

Has the mileage always been this low or just recently?  Reason I ask is when I got my new tires put on recently in June on the Norge…immediately thereafter my mileage dropped from 42 mpg to 37mpg….I found that the shop had over tightened the front axle and fork pinch bolts and the wheel was barely turning when suspended in the air.  Fixed that and my mileage went back up to 42.

You might be also running rich….have you pulled the plugs to see if they are sooty?  

Tire pressures set somewhere between 36-40?  

cheers!

Edited by PJPR01

I'll check the wheel spin is a good idea.  When i got the bike the wheels do not spin as free as i had hoped for and checked the calipers also. Will check the plugs again, last time they looked good and doing valves this weekend Imma hoping.  When all is done will prolly download a Beetle map.  I'm all about tire pressure checking -  36F 41R.  *Funny when underway the (barely readable) digital gas mileage reads 46-52 underway but digital average MPG reads 29 mpg and when I fill up same place all the time if comes out 33-37 actual.  Kinda loony instrument readout..

Edited by Sempervee1

Wow...digital average of 29 mpg is incredibly low...unless that is mostly city driving.  Something is off for sure.  Even when i'm just doddling around in the city, I'm around 37 mpg, then averages for rides in the 42 mpg range...unless I'm really hammering it.  Let us know what you find.

On 9/1/2024 at 10:47 PM, PJPR01 said:

minor cough/hiccup present at 3K RPM's today? 

You should get in touch with Mike Haven and ask him what he downloaded into my Le Mans as the 3k cough has completely vanished!

He said he used a map tailored for my Staintune exhaust pipes.

He did also install a new map on my Quota.

From what I understood, he gets all his maps from a guy in Australia who is supposedly well known. I can't remember the guy's name.

You are welcome if you want to upload that map from my ECU and use it on yours!

The difference from before has been incredible.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2024 at 5:32 AM, PJPR01 said:

Has the mileage always been this low or just recently?  Reason I ask is when I got my new tires put on recently in June on the Norge…immediately thereafter my mileage dropped from 42 mpg to 37mpg….I found that the shop had over tightened the front axle and fork pinch bolts and the wheel was barely turning when suspended in the air.  Fixed that and my mileage went back up to 42.

You might be also running rich….have you pulled the plugs to see if they are sooty?  

Tire pressures set somewhere between 36-40?  

cheers!

That shouldn't happen if the wheel spacer is the correct length. You should be able to crank up the axle nut even over tight and it shouldn't affect the wheel bearing lateral clearance. You should check the spacer length as it's too short. The bearing clearance is independent of the axle nut torque. That is the precise purpose of the bearing spacer.

Greetings from Roma

• Like 2

15 hours ago, nuevototem said:

Sure! can you upload that map here? Regards!

I wish I could, but I do not own a Windows computer;

I have all the interface cables, I have installed the Mac-OS software on my Mac Book Pro, but I cannot open the port to communicate with the Lonelec interface.

I have thought about purchasing a Windows computer, but given that my V11 now works perfectly, the need is less pressing.

The Quota seems to be equally fueling properly.

I was merely suggesting to meet with @PJPR01 who has the equipment working, so he could copy the map and post it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, p6x said:

I have all the interface cables, I have installed the Mac-OS software on my Mac Book Pro, but I cannot open the port to communicate with the Lonelec interface.

I have thought about purchasing a Windows computer, but given that my V11 now works perfectly, the need is less pressing.

I was merely suggesting to meet with @PJPR01 who has the equipment working, so he could copy the map and post it.

You can acquire an old windows laptop for exactly nothing these days. Thats what I would do 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lucky Phil said:

That shouldn't happen if the wheel spacer is the correct length. You should be able to crank up the axle nut even over tight and it shouldn't affect the wheel bearing lateral clearance. You should check the spacer length as it's too short. The bearing clearance is independent of the axle nut torque. That is the precise purpose of the bearing spacer.

Greetings from Roma

That's interesting, it's theoretically the original spacer...I had examined it for any deficiencies but couldn't see anything, but very worthwhile to buy a new one and see if that solves the issue.  Thanks again Phil.  Enjoy Roma...and some delicious gelato!

Edited by PJPR01

2 hours ago, PJPR01 said:

That's interesting, it's theoretically the original spacer...I had examined it for any deficiencies but couldn't see anything, but very worthwhile to buy a new one and see if that solves the issue.  Thanks again Phil.  Enjoy Roma...and some delicious gelato!

The original spacers are notorious for being too short and killing bearings before their time. Will do, first day and first gelato done.

Phil 

• Like 3

On 9/4/2024 at 10:59 PM, p6x said:

From what I understood, he gets all his maps from a guy in Australia who is supposedly well known. I can't remember the guy's name.

That would be Beetle, almost certainly. Mentioned further up, if I recall correctly. This is his site:

https://griso.org/

I believe his first name is Mark.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just for a fun experiment, I've ordered a new set of coils (Ducati pricing is 50% of Guzzi pricing for the exact same part) and will see that that makes any difference at all.  If not, then it's purely a fueling issue with no electrical contribution in which case back to asking for an updated map with small gaps in the table as suggested above.

The quest continues!

I looked at Beetle's website, he doesn't have any V11 maps there as far as I can see...but I could have sworn he used to have them. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, audiomick said:

That would be Beetle, almost certainly. Mentioned further up, if I recall correctly. This is his site:

https://griso.org/

I believe his first name is Mark.

Yes indeed!

I remember because when I wanted to purchase a Quota from a gentleman in Boise, he told me the previous owner had retuned it with a map from "Beetle". He said "the map was architected by Beetle", in a way that meant "Beetle" was THE authority in that field.

Did I understand that he customizes maps to your own specific application?

I have never looked at griso.org, so I don't really know.

Edited by p6x

On 9/5/2024 at 8:39 AM, p6x said:

As a long time Beetle customer, I have purchased his maps for my Norge and Griso, I would recommend Nuevo reach out to Beetle for a map.  He has invested significant amounts of time and effort and should always be compensated for his work.  He's very responsive and easy to work with...you can find him via his website as posted above or go to Griso Ghetto where he is very active as well and send a PM.  I'm happy to help with local Guzzidiag activities, but I can't share Beetle's map without his permission.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1