Charging issues

LaGrasta

You do not want to be disconnecting a battery on these computer controlled IC vehicles  w/the engine running. Bad things can happen with the engine control systems . 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, LaGrasta said:

@gstallons

I have a fairly new lithium battery (fully charged), OEM stator, OEM harness, OEM fuse block, now with circuit breaker in place of 30a fuse.. I've only added a new rectifier.

Are there any alternator rebuild shops near you that can test all your old parts ? you can verify if any of these parts were / are bad .  This can eliminate the fact whether or not the fault was in any of these parts v the problem is in the wiring .  

Old BMW airhead bikes were made so if the charge indicator light in the headlight nacelle was bad , the charging system would not charge !

Now , your v regulator , how many wires come out of it ? this way I can look at the correct wiring diagram and do some thinking . 

@gstallons

The new rectifier wires are identical to OEM. You mentioned the indicator light on a BMW. I replaced all of mine with LED, wonder if that has something to do with it. However the lights work, and have been working for thousands of miles.

53 minutes ago, LaGrasta said:

@gstallons

The new rectifier wires are identical to OEM. You mentioned the indicator light on a BMW. I replaced all of mine with LED, wonder if that has something to do with it. However the lights work, and have been working for thousands of miles.

Your 2003 V11 has no "battery" indicator light, correct?

Please do not get distracted by the indicator light story . This was JUST an example of how screwy things can be. That was a 60s BMW and this is a V11 MG. 

I assume you have the wiring diagram for YOUR bike ? This is important.  One wiring diagram I have  and I think this is my 2002/3 V11 shows two yellow wires  (GI) from the stator windings to the reg. The red/green wire next to it (R-VE) goes from the regulator to f3 . The next light blue wire (AZ) goes from the reg. to the charge indicator lamp. Then the final wire red/black coming from the reg  (R-N) goes to the brake lights , headlamp switch then to the instrument cluster benz lamp ( whatever that is) .  Finally there is a ground wire attached to the fastener holding the reg to the frame. It ties in w/the battery ground cable.  

check every one of these to verify operation . Make sure the red/green wire that goes from the + post of the battery to f3 to the reg has B+ v . The other one  , if you have lights that circuit is good. If you have a charge light it is good. 

Good luck.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Pretty sure there is no "Charge" or "battery" indicator light on the later V11 SpineFrames. If your V11 has a single turn indicator, there will be a "battery" light in the cluster. Later V11 have left/right turn indicators and the battery/charge light is absent , IIRC.

The red/black wire from the regulator connecting into the "brake light" etc is the voltage reference from Relay #2, yes?

Watching for @LaGrasta to post that series of voltage readings . . .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

…it does.

On 8/21/2024 at 10:12 AM, docc said:

Your 2003 V11 has no "battery" indicator light, correct?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LaGrasta said:

…it does.

Okay, I forgot your 2003 is a 2002 "carryover."

Looking forward to seeing those voltage readings.....

12.9 cold

12.6 KOEO

12.7 idle

12.9 2000

13.1 4000

13.1 5000

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LaGrasta said:

12.9 cold

12.6 KOEO

12.7 idle

12.9 2000

13.1 4000

13.1 5000

Yep: not charging. Time to check the individual wires and connectors that @gstallons referenced. What is the voltage at the red/black reference wire?

20 hours ago, gstallons said:

. . . One wiring diagram I have  and I think this is my 2002/3 V11 shows two yellow wires  (GI) from the stator windings to the reg. The red/green wire next to it (R-VE) goes from the regulator to f3 . The next light blue wire (AZ) goes from the reg. to the charge indicator lamp. Then the final wire red/black coming from the reg  (R-N) goes to the brake lights , headlamp switch then to the instrument cluster benz lamp ( whatever that is) .  Finally there is a ground wire attached to the fastener holding the reg to the frame. It ties in w/the battery ground cable.  

check every one of these to verify operation . Make sure the red/green wire that goes from the + post of the battery to f3 to the reg has B+ v . The other one  , if you have lights that circuit is good. If you have a charge light it is good. 

Good luck.

FWIW and BTW, since this ongoing charging failure "troubleshooting sequence" does not actually appear to be a "30 amp fuse failure ", the whole sh'bang looks to deserve its own topic . . .

• Like 1

Everyone's input and advice is important on this subject . Make sure of every step you take and tests you perform . 

My black frame is not together (yet) and I did post some voltage readings some time ago but I think it should be around 14.5v. or greater at high idle . 

• Like 1

Just now, gstallons said:

Everyone's input and advice is important on this subject . Make sure of every step you take and tests you perform . 

My black frame is not together (yet) and I did post some voltage readings some time ago but I think it should be around 14.5v. or greater at high idle . 

14.2, but not more than 15.0.

This is the Odyssey PC545 range. If you have opted for a non-OEM battery for your V11 SpineFrame, YMMV . . .

• Like 2

In reference to the 30 amp fuse topic,  I swapped mine for a circuit breaker. However that wire is still heating and melting.. I wonder if this all has something to do with that.

• Like 2