Randomly cuts off/stutters when headlight on

wdietz186

As per the title, '02 V11 Sport unmolested with the exception of a power commander. Lower rpm[2-3k] intermittant. Feels like fuel stops suddenly or spark, no gradual running out of gas feel, more like ign. turning off. Only when headlight is on. Charge output tests on the low end 13.4 to 13.9, battery cranks the same, cold or hot 13.3v static. TPS seems ok battery cables and ecu ground secure runs well except when light is switched on. Any Ideas? Power commander voltage sensitive? Regulator output too low [it is Ducati after all!] but I've got 4 Ducs with the same regs and no issues. Head and tail bulbs are LED

Not likely a Power Commander issue, but simple enough to bypass it and see if anything changes.

Next: relays. Especially Relay#2 (from the front) on your 2002.

What relay is in that position now?

Consider high current relays [currently "Picker components" or "CIT"] in all five positions:

I am a little confused. A V11 Sport in the US should always have the headlight on when it is running, right? And that would be important as the V11 Sport charging system takes its battery voltage measurement to know how much voltage is in the battery from the headlight circuit, downstream of the headlight bulb as I recall. So a headlight that is off or even burned out could / would stop the charging system from working properly. Also, the V11 Sport has a headlight and a lower wattage light in the headlight bucket that is a running light. I assume that is for markets where the headlight can be turned off. If the main headlight is out for any reason it is possible to see the lower wattage running light and mistake that for the headlight. I have done that. The two lights are feed by different circuits so it is possible for the lower wattage light to be on while the main headlight is off.

I do agree, if you have a Power Commander and it is not running right it is really easy to take the Power Commander out of the equation by unplugging it and seeing if the problem goes away.

• Like 2

Should also add, I would check and / or replace the relays as docc mentioned. If relay #2 turns off it will turn off key elements, like the fuel pump and the main headlight (the running light I mentioned will stay on). Also watch for bad connections in the base that the relays plug into. The relays are a known issue, but the base they plug into is also a known issue.

Something seems wrong with your charging, when running the battery voltage should be up at or over 14 volts from the charging system.

Edited by GuzziMoto
  • Like 1

I have replaced the relays with Omrons I sourced from a recommendation here [can't remember who though!] when I initially got the bike running after I bought it. Engine was stuck from a loose oil filter/disconnected oil press. sw./seized the rear main. Prev. owner must have replaced the HL/T/S switch with the euro version and from what I can tell by the wiring diagram the main harness is the same. I'll have a look at the relay socket[s] and swap the relays around to see if something else is intermittant! I've taken the PC out of the circuit but haven't had a chance to test ride it. Any R/R suggestions? I too think the charge voltage is a bit low.

• Like 2

I would check where the R/R is getting its reference voltage from. The stock one got its reference voltage from the headlight circuit, and the voltage drop from the draw of the headlight was factored into its settings. Replacing the R/R with an aftermarket R/R may require changing where the R/R gets its reference voltage, otherwise it may overcharge. Where as, changing where the stock R/R gets its reference voltage from may cause the system to undercharge since the stock target voltage is low because it is including the voltage drop from the headlight. Eliminate that and its target voltage should mean it undercharges. There are also common issues with the ground for the charging system. DC voltage is 50% voltage and 50% ground. A restriction on either side restricts the whole thing.

As mentioned, the relays are a known issue as well as their bases. A good relay with a poor connection doesn't work any better then a bad relay.

• Like 2