Wheel bearings

OtisV11

Hi going to replace my front and rear wheel bearings on my old 1999 v11 sport.Can someone give me the best way off removing the old ones and inserting the new ones.Thanks.

You will need a blind hole bearing puller to remove the old bearings and a driver the proper diameter to reinstall the bearings . You will need to buy , rent or borrow these tools.  

p.s. they are not cheap and do not damage the new parts reinstalling the bearings . 

5 hours ago, OtisV11 said:

Hi going to replace my front and rear wheel bearings on my old 1999 v11 sport.Can someone give me the best way off removing the old ones and inserting the new ones.Thanks.

You can often drive the old bearing out with a largish flat bladed screwdriver of a 1/2 inch steel punch with a sharp edge by inserting the punch/scredriver into the axle hole from the opposite side and levering the spacer to one side to get the punch onto the inner race edge. Once one side is out the other is easy. I then grind a notch in one end of the spacer so next time the screwdriver gets onto the inner race easily. Heat the wheel hub with a heat gun and have the bearings in the freezer and they often just drop in and you can use the old bearing as a driving tool on the outer race if you need to.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

O , watch (if there are) some videos on the subject and get familiar with the task .  Be CAREFUL so you do not damage the wheel .  Take pics of things as you take things apart. You have not lived until you remove the wheel from a 70s Japanese bike and have a floor full of stuff. 

Use the hammer / screwdriver method to remove the old bearings along w/heat and freezing to reinstall the bearings. These are good ideas.   when you get finished and reinstall the axle shaft tighten it "just" tight. and get everything else as tight as it was to remove. if you think you are in over your head , post your ?s and someone will help.  

BTW , there is plenty of maintenance to do to the rear of this bike while you are there. If you have some buddies w/ the tools I mentioned hit on them to loan to you or for assistance. No man is an island .

• Like 1

On 9/7/2024 at 2:48 PM, Lucky Phil said:

... I then grind a notch in one end of the spacer so next time the screwdriver gets onto the inner race easily....

That's a good idea! Thanks. :thumbsup:

I always use a drift to get bearings out. I don't like using screwdrivers for anything except turning screws. :huh2:

@OtisV11, take time to carefully measure the rear wheel spacer. Many early V11 sport spacers were undersized and shorten wheel bearing life. The correct length is 113mm, although you can measure your wheel between bearing seating surfaces once your bearings are removed.

IMG_8888.jpg

• Like 2