High-speed tail wag

Guest Graham in NZ

Guest 1100sport

Janusz : At least two other elements should be factored as far as the stability of the V11 is concerned. First off, a naked bike will never have the same degree of stability as a bike with a fairing, simply because of the erratic wind pressure. Second, the position on the bike will also play a part in allocating weight towards the front. That is also why a V11 naked, with its rather upheld position, at least compared to a Daytona for example, can not claim the same riding qualities. On the other side it is also much more comfortable. Once again it all comes down to priorities.

In my opinion, endeavoring in strengthening the frame only makes sense if it is required by your riding style. A v11 1.0 offers as it is a very pleasant ride. According to the pilots who have complained about it, the stability issue arises in speed in excess of 100 mph, which is something you might or might not do often. Since you report that you have never experienced any stability issue, it might not be worth it.

On the other hand, if you want to improve the rigidity of your V11, puting the V11 2.0 linkage between the side plates, reinforced by its additional triangle, might be a great idea. I am not sure if it is possible though, but I suspect someone here could certainly help clearing this issue as I remember having seen a picture of the new linkage on this board some time ago.

Baldini : I have received or read so many great advices on this board that sharing my views is the least I can do ! The 5 speed gearbox can be improved by an appropriate shimming. Because of the lousy quality controls before the Aprilia era, machining and assembly were rather rough. Shifting easiness and speed benefit tremendously from this operation. Still I doubt that you can macth the great shifting ability of the new 6 speed which is a major technical breakthrough in Moto Guzzi engineering.

Mathieu

Wow, everybody from 1100Sport to this post: Good stuff! Especially both of 1100Sport's posts. :thumbsup:

I think there may be one more issue unique to the V11. Am I correct in recalling the V11 also caries a good deal less rake and trail the earlier spine frames? A fair frame with more rake, lets say a "classic" number like 28 degrees, is going to be a lot more stable than the same frame (or even one with less rigidity based on 11 Sport's post) with a modern number like 24 degrees.

One side note on the weight distribution issue. My all time high mileage bike was my '88 R100GS. Ugly as sin but it did everything well, even single track if you were careful. We used to go down to an (ahem) un-patrolled road in southeastern California and do top speed runs. Lots of fun, slipstreaming each other on a long (20 miles) straight section. Anyway, that bike ALWAYS had a genital high speed weave. Not bad but it got a little scary in the bumps. I finally cured the problem. A very high tech solution, I bought a pair of "tank panniers" (like soft saddle bags but go over the front of the tank) and put heavy stuff like water in them. Too bad that will not work on the Goose, the engine is in the way. :doh:

FWIW, I don't do bonsai high speed cornering these days but I am still dumb enough to go over 100 MPH (160 KPH) in a straight line or through genital bends. My bike, with its re-sprung and re-valved stock suspension, no longer feels nervous. This is all pretty subjective but the only complaint I have with the chassis now is a little harshness in the rear. I think this is inherent in the poor rear end design although a really high end shock might be an improvement.

Anyway, great posts, I know the gearbox was an important part of the frame but I didn't know the 6-speeder was less rigid than the old 'box.

Lex

genital high speed weave.

Ummm, "gentle" maybe? I don't want Antonio to get excited (so to speak).

Seriously, I agree Lex- this is an interesting thread. I don't often go over 100 mph anymore, but even when I do the bike is stable in a line or a smooth bend. I wonder if the chronic instability that some feel is due to 1) more aggressive riding than I ever do and/or 2) maybe the frame jig was not set properly straight when they welded up the frame. :huh2: Just something else to throw out to the paranoid.

With a small fairing on my bike, it does feel more stable than before, but that may be only my impression. It's certainly a lot easier to drive without the air blast.

The frame stiffening (it always comes back to stiffening, doesn't it) bars are available in Japan, I think. Somewhere in here: http://www.guzzisport.com/ Guzzi Sport Jingushi.

J

to go over 100 MPH (160 KPH) in a straight line or through genital bends

usually it'll take a beer or three before a corner looks good enough to give me the genital bends..

I've never gone to bed with any ugly corners, but I've woken up with a few..

Genital Bends? Maybe you should go a size up in your leathers...

Is that a genital bend in your pocket, or are you just glad to see the MGS...

somebody help me.. Antonio has taken over my keyboard...