Turn Signals quit

dbarb3

Start out by saying I hate electrical problems.   The mechanics of this bike are perfect but some of these niggles are frustrating. 

I have checked fuses and thats about the depth of what I know to do.  Front and rears both are out. 

Good news is there is no relay in that circuit, so it's down to fuse, switch, and connectors. I have had some success spraying an contact cleaner like CRC Electronics Cleaner, followed by Caig DeOxit in beside the switch toggle and working it back and forth.

Otherwise, the switch box is easy to open and apply the same clean/treat method.

Certainly, the switch connector to the harness could attention, but let's start with the easy stuff . . .

1 hour ago, docc said:

Good news is there is no relay in that circuit, so it's down to fuse, switch, and connectors. I have had some success spraying an contact cleaner like CRC Electronics Cleaner, followed by Caig DeOxit in beside the switch toggle and working it back and forth.

Otherwise, the switch box is easy to open and apply the same clean/treat method.

Certainly, the switch connector to the harness could attention, but let's start with the easy stuff . . .

And maybe give the flasher unit a look and a spritz of cleaner?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, MotoKnee said:

And maybe give the flasher unit a look and a spritz of cleaner?

Wow, wouldn't that be quite something if a fresh flasher solved the issue?

It is the little "tin can" under the seat @dbarb3 . . .

IF the wiring diagram I am looking at is correct , F7 is the fuse , a 552 (w/o looking / IDK where it is on the bike) is the flasher , thru the switchgear , then to the left or right side lamps.  

Do the turn signal lamps light up or stay "off" ?

It should be right there w/the fuses. It has an orange wire and a red/white wire on the connector . It has been so long I had to look at the switchgear on the red frame , then look under the seat of the black frame to find it !

Edited by gstallons
  • Like 1

Relegated to riding my EV, I discovered the signals and taillights weren't working.  I checked and cleaned the fuses and played with the relays, only before discovering the fuse was missing.  Where did it go? 

18 minutes ago, dbarb3 said:

I have looked pretty good under seat around fuses box, relay, tail section and if flasher looks similar to auto one I sure dont see it

Can you post an image under your seat?

My 2000 was position between the left back corner of the battery and the fuse block. Later V11 may seen them nearer the right (relay) side, or even outboard of the subframe (between the subframe tubes and tail section bodywork.

While they typically like like the common 'tin can" (about 30mm/ 1 1/4" diameter and height), it could also be a "box about the same size . . .

th?id=OIP.ohaZjIVCO63fKjHYUbVQowHaIV%26p

th?id=OIF.eyc1bUQUzr5eELk%252fKbWB4w%26p

Ok, these images will be appreciated. Down 5 flights of stairs, unpack the bike in the cold and drizzle, take the photos with the aid of a torch, back up the stairs. I'm expecting an elefant stamp here....

My 2002 V11 Le Mans. Here is a "close up". The blinker can is in the scruffy looking rubber boot behind the relays, tucked in under the bodywork. I don't know for sure that this is the original position, as it is just cable-tied onto the frame rail there. On the other hand, the cable harness would not allow it to have been very far from that position. It is just long enough to get there. :huh2:

large.blinker_can_close.jpg

And here is another picture from a bit further back to put it into perspective

large.blinker_can_perspective.jpg

Hope that helps. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That would seem to be the circuit diagram for the models including and after 2003.

Page 154 here:

https://guzzitek.org/parts_list/gb/1100/V11LM_Nak_RC_Cat_2003_122002_PL.pdf

The diagramme indicates a square blinker can.

Mine is round, a "classic" blinker can, and seems to be more like the picture here on page 59

https://guzzitek.org/parts_list/gb/1100/V11LM_2002_062011_PL(GB).pdf

or here on page 141

https://guzzitek.org/parts_list/gb/1100/V11LM_2002_072002_PL.pdf

either way, as is indicated in both diagrammes, it must be somewhere near the relays. The cable harness doesn't allow it to be anywhere else, as far as I can tell. :huh2:

Edited by audiomick