Turn Signals quit

dbarb3

On 9/14/2024 at 6:09 PM, dbarb3 said:

Start out by saying I hate electrical problems.   The mechanics of this bike are perfect but some of these niggles are frustrating. 

I have checked fuses and thats about the depth of what I know to do.  Front and rears both are out. 

After a couple of years , you will have a blown-up (laminated) (3 of them) wiring diagram close to you at all time and you will be able to put on a clinic about EVERY portion of this wiring system that could go on for 60 mins straight and you will speak w/confidence .  

W/that being said , jump in , the water's fine . Don't pay any attention to the jellyfish , sharks , squid or any other sea monsters !

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, dbarb3 said:

Found it  Round metal one says Wagner 552 12 V

Seems Auto Parts has these

Gonna replace and see whats up

Mighty easy to plug in a new flasher (cheap and commonly available) and see if the signals are restored, @dbarb3. :luigi:

4 minutes ago, dbarb3 said:

Well not surpised new flasher did not fix it

Also noticed my tail light isnt lit but the brake light comes on when applied

Tail light on a different circuit with the instrument illumination and low watt "city light" in the headlight bucket. Are those lit?

2 hours ago, dbarb3 said:

Well not surpised new flasher did not fix it

Also noticed my tail light isnt lit but the brake light comes on when applied

In the schematic I'm looking at, it appears that the taillight and the turn signals have a wire in common.  That is the wire that comes from the ignition switch and supplies power to both fuse 6 and fuse 7.

Fuse 6 supplies the taillight and fuse 7 supplies the the turn signals.  You could check for 12V at the input side of either fuse (red and gray wire in the schematic).

If no power is present at the fuse, you may need to clean/inspect the wiring in the ignition switch.

• Like 2

Before you start , do your headlamps , horn , dimmer switch , etc.  work? There may be a problem at the 10 pin connector going to the switchgear . Don't worry about this yet. 

Alright. It is time for you to start thinking . * 

# 1 new flasher installed . still no flasher. Get your test light** and see   a. w/KOEO , is there 12v at one of the flasher unit connectors ?

Y. apply 12v to the other connector (orange wire) to see if all the turn signal lamps light up. they should. If so you still have a bad flasher unit. Install a good known flasher and retest. 

N . go back to F 7 and check for B+ at both ends of the fuse. B+ ?  Y , the problem is between the F 7 and flasher connector. 

* w/ea step , verify, verify, verify. You don't want to proceed until you are sure you pass/fail your current test. You don't want to waste your time rushing through this procedure.

** use a test light . Not a LED test light . You will learn about them later.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, dbarb3 said:

Headlights dimmer horn work brake light works

How do I check the ignition swith ?  Come in from under it?

Talk to me like a 3rd grader on testing the voltage I have a multimeter but thats about it. 

To test for power from ign switch to fuses:

remove both fuses from fuse holder.

turn on key.

set meter to DC volts

touch black lead to negative battery terminal.  then, one at a time, touch red lead to each fuse terminal. 1 side of each fuse should have 12v present. If not, you may have ign switch issue.

• Like 1