Neutral light intermittent after selector hook spring was replaced

fed

Sophia is sad once again. shifter locked up , removed side cover and replaced the spring. the problem i think is it was stuck in gear so i couldn’t get it in neutral before disassembly. i marked the two gears so when i placed them in cover they were the way  removed  . not wanting to get stuck too far away from my house i rode it down my street and have at least 3 gears . when i placed them it in neutral the light comes on then goes off but the trans remains in neutral. wiggling the shift lever makes the light blink. any help will be greatly appreciated . thanks guys

At least 3 gears ? You did have 6  before ?  

Remove the sensor/switch and look down into the bore to see if the switch contact is in the center of the bore .  If so the problem is the switch . Take  and clean it with contact cleaner and I mean clean and reinstall. If not , you know what you have to do !

The neutral light is, as I recall, a very simple circuit. The wire connects to the "sensor" on the side of the transmission. All the "sensor" is is a ground that grounds to the transmission when it is in neutral. You can measure this continuity to ground with a meter. You can remove the sensor, clean it, make sure it is proper shaped, and bend it back into shape if required. You can also directly ground that wire and confirm that the neutral light lites up. If it doesn't lit up properly when you ground that wire the issue may be elsewhere.

2 hours ago, fed said:

Sophia is sad once again. shifter locked up , removed side cover and replaced the spring. the problem i think is it was stuck in gear so i couldn’t get it in neutral before disassembly. i marked the two gears so when i placed them in cover they were the way  removed  . not wanting to get stuck too far away from my house i rode it down my street and have at least 3 gears . when i placed them it in neutral the light comes on then goes off but the trans remains in neutral. wiggling the shift lever makes the light blink. any help will be greatly appreciated . thanks guys

The issue with the neutral light switch is the brass contacts become tarnished after many years and no longer have a low resistance. A new switch is the best answer as the originals aren't really able to be disassembled. I disassembled one and found the tarnished contacts and then attempted to reassemble it using JB weld but it didn't last long so I used a spare I had I recently bought a brand new switch for a reasonable price as previously they wants some totally stupid money for them. Can't remember where I bought it though. Ruling out the obvious connection issues the switch also needs to be fitted with the correct thickness crush washer to work correctly as this governs the plunger travel position on the selector gear.

Phil  

• Like 2

thank you but i don't think i explained it properly. the light had no issues until i removed the side cover to replace the lever spring that broke.ill try removing and reinstalling the switch . maybe because it wasin gear when i installed the side plate its not lined up correctly. thanks for the reply

57 minutes ago, fed said:

thank you but i don't think i explained it properly. the light had no issues until i removed the side cover to replace the lever spring that broke.ill try removing and reinstalling the switch . maybe because it wasin gear when i installed the side plate its not lined up correctly. thanks for the reply

Perhaps as simple as addressing the failure prone spade connector on the switch under the rubber boot?

You can do the "wiggle test", @fed . . . key on, engine off with gearbox in neutral: wiggle the boot/connector and observe for intermittent neutral light . . .