On 10/12/2024 at 5:44 AM, audiomick said:

Completely off topic, but "bridges":

A bridge collapsed in Dresden about 4 weeks ago. Fortunately at about 3:00 in the morning, so no-one was hurt. It was this one

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/264360408

zoom out a bit, and you can see how critical it is to traffic in Dresden. It is (was) more or less the main bridge across the river close to the city centre.

Here is what it looks like now

The bit that collapsed carried a tram line and a bike path and pedestrian path. Alone the tram line will cause huge problems. And then...

They will obviosly have to minutely examine the parallel span that carries the road traffic, and the river is blocked. The river is a major transport route for river-boat cargo.

They're going to have problems for at least the next ten years. A new bridge doesn't just happen overnight.

Getting back to the weather, same deal. Things that got destroyed in a few short hours can take years and decades to be restored. :(

Ha, they need some post WW2 reconstruction determination. Ten years to rebuild a bridge! Sounds like us. We have determined it's going to take 40 years to build a high speed rail line between Brisbane and Melbourne. Meanwhile the Chinese are constructing 1400klm/month of HSR! I was reflecting on this a month ago as the Frecciarossa whisked us between Rome and Milano at 300kph in quiet comfort.  

Phil  

Edited by Lucky Phil
  • Like 2
On 10/11/2024 at 2:44 PM, audiomick said:

Completely off topic, but "bridges":

A bridge collapsed in Dresden about 4 weeks ago. Fortunately at about 3:00 in the morning, so no-one was hurt. It was this one

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/264360408

zoom out a bit, and you can see how critical it is to traffic in Dresden. It is (was) more or less the main bridge across the river close to the city centre.

Here is what it looks like now

A new bridge doesn't just happen overnight.

12 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

...Ten years to rebuild a bridge!...

My guess.... :huh2:

The actual building will probably only be a year, maybe two. I doubt very much if it can be done in less than a year, but I don't know. Doing it as shown in the link from @Pressureangle is out of the question, as the brige in question is over a river. Preparing the new bridge next to the old one and then just rolling it into place (which I have seen done here...) is simply not possible, and incidently pointless. That procedure serves to have the work done with a minimum of interruption of traffic. The traffic flow in Dresden is already interrupted, so there is no point in fluffing around with that sort of thing. Just clean out the broken bridge, and build the new in its place.

Given the length of the span in Dresden, apparently 375 metres in total, and the fact that it is over a river that carries a fair bit of shipping traffic, I don't expect re-building to be all that simple.

The rest of the time is likely to go on planning, the tender process (has to happen, as it involves public money...) more planning, the approval process, correcting the plans, having the corrections approved, having the financing approved, and so on.

As I said, 10 years is a guess. Maybe it will happen quicker, but it will definitely be a number of years before the bridge is replaced.

Edited by audiomick
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, audiomick said:

My guess.... :huh2:

The actual building will probably only be a year, maybe two. I doubt very much if it can be done in less than a year, but I don't know. Doing it as shown in the link from @Pressureangle is out of the question, as the brige in question is over a river. Preparing the new bridge next to the old one and then just rolling it into place (which I have seen done here...) is simply not possible, and incidently pointless. That procedure serves to have the work done with a minimum of interruption of traffic. The traffic flow in Dresden is already interrupted, so there is no point in fluffing around with that sort of thing. Just clean out the broken bridge, and build the new in its place.

Given the length of the span in Dresden, apparently 375 metres in total, and the fact that it is over a river that carries a fair bit of shipping traffic, I don't expect re-building to be all that simple.

The rest of the time is likely to go on planning, the tender process (has to happen, as it involves public money...) more planning, the approval process, correcting the plans, having the corrections approved, having the financing approved, and so on.

As I said, 10 years is a guess. Maybe it will happen quicker, but it will definitely be a number of years before the bridge is replaced.

Yes of course these two are not the same, I only posted the Chinese bridge for a bit of satire- Bridges to me are very suspect anymore, and anything of Chinese origin ever more so. We have 2 local bridges of concrete with steel straps, like long chains, holding them from end to end. At the age of 27 years, the steel had rusted enough to break and threaten the bridge. As it happens, the steel came from China. Surprise...
I suppose with heavy shipping and a reasonable span they will build a suspension bridge without support in the water; we've lost many bridges here due to being struck by ships and barges. As always, it is what it is, and everyone gets to deal with it in whatever way they can.

2 hours ago, Pressureangle said:

a suspension bridge without support in the water

Maybe, but I doubt it. Here is a photo from the Wiki of the bridge after the collapse.

800px-Dresden_Carolabr%C3%BCcke_Einsturz

Chemnitzer Eisenbahner, CC BY-SA 4.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0>, via Wikimedia Commons

The old building on the left is on the edge of the historical city centre of Dresden. I can't imagine them building anything high enough to in any way possibly interfere with the view of that.

They might try and get that one pylon out of the water, I guess. That would mean a span of about 70 metre, I think, which should be possible.

We'll see in the due course of time, no doubt. :)

• Like 1