New Camshaft needed - what are the options?

NevM

I'm a V11 newbie but have owned other Guzzis for a while.  I recently acquired a non-running Scura project which had apparently developed a nasty rattle.  The PO had taken it to a local bike shop (non-Guzzi) who removed the right cylinder and told him the 'bottom end was gone'.  I figured it was more likely to be the clutch / flywheel problem that affects the Scuras but my initial investigation has found the likely cause of the rattle and it's certainly not the flywheel, although I will be checking that out for sure.  The shop had removed one of the cam followers when they took the cylinder off, but not the other which was not loose in the case.  It took a couple of minutes to work the second follower out to find the engine has been doing it's own mods - looks like it was working towards a new design where the pushrod runs directly on the cam, but it didn't quite get that far.   

Having read previous posts on this forum it seems I will need to replace the cam as well as the followers, but I have no idea what options there are for V11 cams.  Does the Scura run a different cam from other models?  I've not been able to find a resource that lists what models run what cams but have seen some different model number listings on ebay for second hand cams and don't have any idea what I'm looking for.  I'm not wanting to create a hot-rod motor here, will be happy with whatever the Scura came with but not too sure about buying second hand.

Does anyone have experience with the Raceco SS2 camshaft - is that an option worth looking at?

Thanks, Nev

Cam Followers.jpg

• Like 2

I can't guide you on cams- lots of choices. My understanding is that the stock cam was designed for max power without compromising drivability by Crane Cams, and if that's true its probably going to be very hard to improve. My recommendation is that whatever you choose, send it ti Microblue for coating. I had them coat all the moving parts in my '85 LeMans and I was amazed at how slick it is. After 10k miles, the cam lobes show no signs of wearing through the coating, and they have radiused Ford Y-block lifters under 165# LS Chevrolet springs. 

http://microblueracing.com/index.html

• Like 1