V11 LeMans fuel pump (maybe)

Sporticus

1 hour ago, gstallons said:

Have you done any more to your bike to diagnose this problem ?

Hi - I’m waiting for the Deoxit I ordered to arrive, then I plan to clean all the fuse and relay connections. Hopefully that will get me somewhere. If not, I’ll consider selling all my motorcycles and take up stamp collecting or birding.

• Haha 2

I will have to think about this ......YOU DO NOT WANT TO GIVE UP THIS SOON !

Edited by gstallons
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I think when the fuel pump went out my Greenie we found a replacement at NAPA for $80.  Replacing relays, fusses, filter and pump should be a $100 or so. 

Don't forget tank suck.

• Like 2

Not much of an update. I spayed ALL related electrical connections with Deoxit. I am getting 12.09 volts to the pump relay. The relay still cycles rapidly and sporadically before the fuel pump comes on. Replaced the fuel pump fuse even though it looked fine. My next step is to replace all five relays with new ones, unless someone has other thoughts. I might take it for a very local ride this afternoon and see what happens. Thanks again for all advice!

Edited by Sporticus

You might should ride uphill . For the same reason you take a boat out into the river to try it out .  You always go upstream.

Edited by gstallons
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Sporticus said:

Not much of an update. I spayed ALL related electrical connections with Deoxit. I am getting 12.09 volts to the pump relay. The relay still cycles rapidly and sporadically before the fuel pump comes on. Replaced the fuel pump fuse even though it looked fine. My next step is to replace all five relays with new ones, unless someone has other thoughts. I might take it for a very local ride this afternoon and see what happens. Thanks again for all advice!

What type battery is in it? Is that the voltage across the battery terminals, as well?

For an AGM battery like the Hawker Odyssey native to the V11, 12.09v is quite dead and should be "conditioned." A fully charged AGM is 12.84v. This recovery cannot be accomplished on a low amperage "trickle" charger.  Time to assess your battery and charging system . . .

• Like 1

Another update of sorts. The bike opted to stop running a few miles into my local ride. Once on the side of the road, the bike would start but refuse to stay running. Out of ideas, I decided to swap the starter relay and the fuel pump relay - not the first time I’ve done this. The bike fired right up and took me to my destination (and back) without any issues. I’ve ordered five new relays and suspect this will remedy my problems.

• Like 2

Battery is reading 12.85 volts after my quick ride. Yes, those are the relays I ordered. Thanks for the link that was posted earlier in this thread.

• Like 1

With the battery 12.85, your voltage ate the fuel relay is still 12.09? That's a lot of voltage drop.

Is the relay voltage the same as that incoming to Fuse #2 (from the front)?

My battery must have been a bit low when I got the earlier reading at the relay. I just measured it again and now it’s reading 12.85 at the relay.

• Thanks 1

Looking forward to hearing how it goes with the relay change.

Otherwise, we will soldier on!   :luigi:  :mg:   :drink:

• Like 2

Update - I replaced the fuel pump relay and now the same problem is somewhat intermittent. Sometimes the relay will click once, the fuel pump will prime, and the bike fires right up. Other times the new relay will click sporadically (like it did before) for an extended time before the fuel pump primes. I purchased a few extra relays and swapped them out to see if the original was defective. No dice. At least I’ve been able to ride the bike a few times.