Engine dying on acceleration

MontGuzzi

Hi there, I have a 2004 Nero Corsa that is dying upon hard acceleration.  The problem goes like this:  bike warmed up and runs fine on casual riding, upon a spirited goosing engine roars to life for a good second or two, then completely dies.  I mean complete non-response as if I had hit the kill switch.  After I pull over and wipe the tears from my eyes, it starts up again without hesitation.  As far as I know the fuel filter has not been replaced, maybe this is a good place to start since it need to be done anyhow.  Any other ideas? Any advice would be warmly received.  Thank you!

1 hour ago, MontGuzzi said:

... As far as I know the fuel filter has not been replaced, maybe this is a good place to start ....

Yep, I reckon so.

I had an issue with a Kawasaki 1000 GTR. It ran well at moderate engine speeds, but exhibited all the signs of running out of fuel after a couple of minutes above 140 km/h or so (German Autobahn...). After backing off, it recovered and ran well until the next attempt at larger throttle openings. Turned out I had created a kink in the fuel line that was restricting the fuel flow to the carbies.

Anyway, I reckon the first suspicion for yours would be that it is "starving" for some reason. I would investigate that first, and only when that can be definitely excluded as a cause go looking for some other reason. Don't forget to check that the tank ventilation isn't blocked up.

Edited by audiomick

Thank you! Indeed the ventilation is goofed up.  The bike has been burping gas out of the cap on hot days when I leave it in the sun.  I'll start with venting and fuel filter.  Much appreciated, Audiomick!  

• Like 1

Had a similar problem with my Rosso C. Went thru everything before I decided, fuel pressure need to be checked. Idling perfect, but not to much throttle = dying.  Fuel pressure was low. A small plumberjob to check pressure. New pump, all good.

Cheers Tom.

• Like 2

A little risky, but leaving the tank cap ajar and trying acceleration again (1/4 tank or less) might point to the cap vent being the problem. Some Japanese bikes use a rubber "duck bill" vent in the cap which hardens and becomes a seal, causing the same starvation problem. Might as well try the quick and dirty fix first. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the input all.  I have a little more data after my ride home tonight.  It died again on me and wouldn’t even turn over.  I toggled the kill switch on and off and it started right up.  I repeated this four more times, spirited acceleration, bike dies, activate and deactivate kill switch, and it started right up.  This seems pretty squarely electrical, but I’m not sure where to start now.  Any suggestions?

• Like 1

If you ride this today , see how it does as you do a graduated ride , getting a little faster , a little faster , a little faster until it stops . 

Now , when you say stop : it dies , it slows down , it quits ?  You make sure we understand what you are experiencing .

24 minutes ago, gstallons said:

If you ride this today , see how it does as you do a graduated ride , getting a little faster , a little faster , a little faster until it stops . 

Now , when you say stop : it dies , it slows down , it quits ?  You make sure we understand what you are experiencing .

I did this yesterday. If I accelerate gradually everything works perfectly.  It is only on hard acceleration after about one second, where it completely dies, like I just switched off the ignition.  There is no sputtering, coughing, or decreased power—it’s just dead with no ignition happening at all.  Then, when I toggle the kill switch, it immediately comes back to life. 

1 hour ago, gstallons said:

Have you been able to toggle the switch as this is taking place ?  Same results ?

Yep, after a few times of pulling off, I did it while rolling.  The recovery is immediate. 

11 hours ago, MontGuzzi said:

Thanks for the input all.  I have a little more data after my ride home tonight.  It died again on me and wouldn’t even turn over.  I toggled the kill switch on and off and it started right up.  I repeated this four more times, spirited acceleration, bike dies, activate and deactivate kill switch, and it started right up.  This seems pretty squarely electrical, but I’m not sure where to start now.  Any suggestions?

What kind of relays are under the seat (especially in the last position #5)?

4 hours ago, docc said:

What kind of relays are under the seat (especially in the last position #5)?

Tyco,  I am assuming position 5 is the rearmost. 

IMG_4509.jpeg

Without wanting to discount @docc 's reference to relay problems, after reading your update I would

- Have a close look at the throttle grip (motor off, good light) and see if anything moves when you wrench open the throttle.

- Whether yes or no, open the switch block (and the throttle grip) and have a good look at everything.

Your discovery of the apparent connection with the kill switch makes me think that the throttle grip / switch block might be slightly loose, or something along those lines, and the "violent" movement is enough to break the contact, or perhaps cause a short, in the kill switch.

Annoying for you, but a very interesting problem. :whistle: :grin:

Edited by audiomick
  • Like 5

11 minutes ago, docc said:

I have seen more Tyco failures in V11 than any other relay. Worth getting a full set (5) of High Current 5-pin relays and see if "problem solved."

Excellent, this sounds like a no-brainer! Thank you. So, will this part work in all five positions?