Rear axle build-up and dimensions of components between swing-arm

PeterT

The next time a member removes the rear wheel of their V11, I would be very pleased if they could measure and post the axial widths/dimensions of the 4 main components that go in-between the arms of the swing-arm.  In order of assembly, from right to left, the bevel transmission, the small spacer collar, the wheel and the cast brake calliper bracket.  Is there anything else?   The reason I am asking this is that I have a 6.5mm (just over 1/4") gap between the inside of the swing-arm and the brake calliper bracket once the wheel and transmission are pushed to the right.  For the last 10 years the bike has run with a bespoke alloy swing-arm and when refitting the wheel, the brake calliper bracket has been a perfect push fit into the gap between the swing-arm and the left hand wheel bearing.  I have now tried to fit the original steel swing-arm and found this gap that I believe is too big to simply squeeze the swing-arms by tightening up the axle bolt.  Someone please tell me if I'm wrong on this and if such a gap is normal.   I have measured the original steel swing-arm and the dimensions seem to be in line with the dimensional specification given in the technical manual, namely 301mm between the inside faces of the swing-arms.   My suspicion is that the alloy swing-arm (that I no longer have) had a slightly smaller dimension and that the brake calliper bracket was reduced in width; hence my request for someone to measure this and, in case this is no different, the other components as well, though I really cannot see how these can have been changed from the original design specification.  If the brake calliper bracket has been modified, then at least I will know that, if I bought a new replacement, that this would solve my problem.

The dimensions I have measured are:-

Bevel transmission gear -           90.06mm (3.54")

Spacer collar -                             12.4mm    (0.488")

Wheel (across bearings)-            141.8mm  (5.58")

Brake calliper bracket -               50.45mm  (1.99")

Total                                              294.7mm

Dimension between swing-arms- 301mm

Gap -                                              6.3mm

Gap1.jpg

Your brake caliper bracket certainly looks modified, @PeterT and the gap is not normal.

My caliper bracket measures 58mm from the swingarm to the wheel and 31mm from the inside of the rib (that is mostly removed from yours) to the wheel side:

IMG_3490.jpg

IMG_3491.jpg

3 hours ago, PeterT said:

...components that go in-between the arms of the swing-arm....is there anything else?

I don't think so, but would have to look at the bike to be really sure. @docc 's photo seems to answer your questions clearly, though.

Here is a link to a parts list. The relevant exploded drawings for all the parts you listed are unfortunately not all on one page, but if you leaf through it, you can piece together what should be in there.

https://guzzitek.org/parts_list/gb/1100/V11LM_2002_062011_PL(GB).pdf

If you want other documantation, here is the "front page" of the site:

https://guzzitek.org/gb/accueil_gb.htm

• Like 1

I'd be looking for a good second-hand part, but for what it's worth, it looks like Stein-Dinse might be able to supply a new one.

Part #32 here

https://www.stein-dinse.biz/etkataloge/etkataloge.php?l=en&h=MG&m=217&t=5247

which is this

https://www.stein-dinse.com/en/buegel-matt-schwarz/item-2-1021634-01635840-.html

no photo, unfortunately.

9 hours ago, PeterT said:

The next time a member removes the rear wheel of their V11, I would be very pleased if they could measure and post the axial widths/dimensions of the 4 main components that go in-between the arms of the swing-arm.  In order of assembly, from right to left, the bevel transmission, the small spacer collar, the wheel and the cast brake calliper bracket.  Is there anything else?   The reason I am asking this is that I have a 6.5mm (just over 1/4") gap between the inside of the swing-arm and the brake calliper bracket once the wheel and transmission are pushed to the right.  For the last 10 years the bike has run with a bespoke alloy swing-arm and when refitting the wheel, the brake calliper bracket has been a perfect push fit into the gap between the swing-arm and the left hand wheel bearing.  I have now tried to fit the original steel swing-arm and found this gap that I believe is too big to simply squeeze the swing-arms by tightening up the axle bolt.  Someone please tell me if I'm wrong on this and if such a gap is normal.   I have measured the original steel swing-arm and the dimensions seem to be in line with the dimensional specification given in the technical manual, namely 301mm between the inside faces of the swing-arms.   My suspicion is that the alloy swing-arm (that I no longer have) had a slightly smaller dimension and that the brake calliper bracket was reduced in width; hence my request for someone to measure this and, in case this is no different, the other components as well, though I really cannot see how these can have been changed from the original design specification.  If the brake calliper bracket has been modified, then at least I will know that, if I bought a new replacement, that this would solve my problem.

The dimensions I have measured are:-

Bevel transmission gear -           90.06mm (3.54")

Spacer collar -                             12.4mm    (0.488")

Wheel (across bearings)-            141.8mm  (5.58")

Brake calliper bracket -               50.45mm  (1.99")

Total                                              294.7mm

Dimension between swing-arms- 301mm

Gap -                                              6.3mm

Gap1.jpg

You are correct, the calliper bracket has been reduced in width on the OB side. Here's the std width.

Phil

IMG_3301.JPG

Edited by Lucky Phil
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gstallons said:

I cannot understand why the mod and it's purpose ?

12 hours ago, PeterT said:

. . .   For the last 10 years the bike has run with a bespoke alloy swing-arm . . .

" Ghezzi-Brian V11Trofeo "

? ?

Forcellone-X-400x400.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=

• Like 2

No doubt it was. I have the impression that some of the ribs have been "reduced" too, though it is hard to tell from the photos here in the thread. That would be to save a couple of grammes, I guess...