Oil Leak - Transmission Left Side Cover

ChrisPDX

Hi friends:

I have a 2001 Greenie I've been working to bring back to life (thanks for all the forum assistance and info).

I've ridden it a bit around town, and have one current oil leak that I'm hoping for advice on.

It's on the left side of the transmission case, visible just under the starter, adjacent to and slightly above the neutral warning light.  It's a circular piece of steel that pokes through the case and is a little recessed (see photo - I'm pointing at it with a screwdriver).  

I have a manual, but can't see where that piece is named anything in the Section N Gearbox chapter.  It does show up in one VERY small diagram there (see photo - I'm pointing at it with an Xacto) on p. 26 section N, but I can't work it out.  And because it has no slot or fastener head on it, I'm struggling to imagine how to get it out (to put on a new o-ring or whatever) other than take that side cover off.  Before such bold exploratory surgery, I thought it's best to ask :).

Attached are a couple photos.  

The leak is just a small drip, but it does run down the side of the case and onto the pipe.  I haven't ridden the bike extended miles yet, but am concerned I'd end up on the side of the road out of town with abundant hot oil on the outside, not the inside of the tranny.  It does form a drip VERY slowly, maybe once a week, while cold in my garage.

All advice appreciated!

Tranny Leak Location 1.JPG

Tranny Leak Location 2.JPG

• Like 1

Look at your Workshop Manual Section N, page 14, and you can see that mounting shaft for the lower shift wheel from the inside (toward the left side of the photographic image next to the plunger for the Neutral Switch.

I am thinking it is pressed into/ part of the sideplate? Perhaps, clean the accessible outer area and apply a bead of RTV silicone?

It looks to me that you are going to need to remove that cover as what appears to be a recess looking from the outside, is where the axle of item 12, Selector 2a-4a-6a is connected. Maybe it is a post. As you see in the drawing, there is a discontinued line going through the middle of that recess, on the other side of the selector item 12, there is a circlip. This leads me to believe this is some axle maybe a cold insert which leaks on the outside.

Hopefuly, someone who has opened the gearbox should be able to shed better light.

It think I have a picture of it when my geabox was opened because the pawl spring broke; you can see the axle coming out from that cover. I don't know how there could be a leak there, but you may be able to fix it from the inside.

But it looks like you have to remove that cover in any case.

new and old pawl springs situated broken spring view in place New and broken pawl springs side view

Edited by p6x

docc is probably correct, pressed in. Never heard, seen a leak there before. Everything else seems A1 cleaned. You need to take the cover of, if the bike doesn't have the Chuck unbreakeable shift spring. Note some different lenght bolts. When putting back the cover, it's easy to hear it's all in, clack.  Not much pressure in there, oil level correct ?   Silicone, JB W. as proposed.

Cheers Tom.

• Like 1