Growling and bad surge after recall

Guest bkolstad

Guest bkolstad

Got my bike back from transmission recall and now I have a growl at about 3 thousand rpm regardless of gear. I don't think it was there before. Any thoughts?

Also, the bike has developed an intermittant cut out at speed. Ususally running around 4 thousand rpm but not always. I've replaced relays, fuel shut off valve. adjusted TPS, replaced fuel filter; unclogged water drain from tank. Any thoughts?

I thought it was water in fuel but i'm not so sure now.

TIA

Bob Kolstad

Does it happen all the time? or more after warming up?

My bike felt good immediately after the recall but after a few hundred miles it will now occasionally give me the feeling that I am running out of gas or running on one cylinder.

It usually feels great for a couple miles then the hotter it gets the more it seems to happen.

At first I suspected bad gas as I first noticed it after a fuel stop.

But that was a few tanks ago.

I tried disconnecting my powercommander, and it still appeared.

I replaced the fuel filter, but that did not help.

I pushed the spark plug wires into the coils, and that seemed to help for a while, than the symptoms return.

I replaced all the relays, except the starter relay and that helped so far, for about twenty miles, but I have not ridden since.

I suspect a loose wire is the real culprit.

I find it seems worse when on a bumpy road.

Also, I noticed my clutch housing is oily on the inside and may have a leaky seal.

So perhaps the clutch is slipping, but I can't confirm.

Also, the bike was in the shop for the recall so it sat for longer than I ever go without riding.

Perhaps the fuel injectors gunked up a little???

Sounds like it's time to pull the tank and take the time to groom the wiring harness , greasing and firming all the connections.

Guest Gary Cheek

Wow , my V11 did the exact same thing in the engine department . I too wrote it off as bad gasoline . The worst one was right in the middle of a lane change with a car bearing down on me . I was able to pull back into the lane and luckily the engine caught again . It has done it a couple times since .

No growling in the gearbox but it now has a nasty habit of shift lever jamming in the down position while shifting . It does it only sporadically and usually refuses to release until the bike is near a complete stop .

The engine thing seems to have cleared up but we'll have a better look when the trans comes out . I sure am gald the trans is so easy to work on .

We'll get it apart this winter and straighten out whatever kinks are the culprits .

Guest Gary Cheek

TX Redneck quote:

" Your not alone. There has been some talk about vibration or resonance screwing up relays. Gino who rides a Centauro thought his bike had been given a super tune,when it was nothing more than replacing the relays."

..............Right out of the box the relays are more vibration sensitive on the Normally Closed side than on the Normally Open side . The Relay coil holds the contacts more posittively then the spring will . This is one of the reasons the NC contacts are usually rated for less current than the NO contacts.

Trivia ,but it may help someone in a trouble shooting situation. ;)

On the earlier bikes, and maybe the later bikes, the only NC contact used was in the starter relay to activate/deactivate the lighting relay.

The Normally Closed contacts are held in contact by a spring and deactivated by the coil

The Normally Open contacts are held out of contact by a spring and Activated by the coil.

To fix my problem I replaced my four Bosch relays and left the GEI starter relay in place.

Now, I have to do a process of elimination to determine which relay failed....But it was not the GEI relay, which is the only relay that uses the NC contact.

I will probably need to put some damping foam around the relays to lessen vibration.

And order more relays from Dan P.

Guest Gary Cheek

There is no "lighting relay " per se in a standard V11. The NC contacts feed the headlight switch ,not another relay . The relay that is in the headlight circuit interupts the current to the headlight while cranking ,it is not used otherwise for turning the light off and on . The full headlight current still flows through the ignition and headlight dimmer switch ,rather than shunted around them by a relay..

Yes , "NC" or Normally Closed refers to the relays contact position when not energized by the coil. Since the coil must be stronger than the spring to overcome the return spring , the contacts are not held as firmly in the NC position. The springs also tend to give way under vibration and shock . The small movements cause arcing that over time can errode the contact faces causing failure .

The Bosch relay is a very well known quanity in the auto electric field and we have been getting excellent service from them . We tried some of the Asian copies with less than satisfactory results . With concept cars a non function in front of the eager press is to be avoided at all cost !

If you have room and don't mind a bit of rework , the MINI relay is one size up from the MICRO relay and quite a bit stronger to boot . Some of the older GUZZIs used MINI relays and had a lot less relay trouble to show for it.