spill yer guts on maintenance

Guest jerroldt

Guest jerroldt

I am at the point of the first maintenance period for my 2003 Le Mans. I just ordered 2 sump gaskets, a parts manual, some decals etc. from Harpers. The lady told me that I don't need crush washers as my bike is a 2003 model. She also advised me that they have a workshop manual for my bike. I didn't order O rings as I plan to drop the pan at every oil change. My question is about several posts claiming that the factory uses synthetic oil on the new bikes. I don't think that this is accurate since it would extend the break-in period. I plan to use a good grade of 20W-50 since the engine can't be that much different from my Electraglide. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Guest Brian Robson

Oh God, oil again.

It comes with synthetic in the crankcase, and given that it is ran in the factory and then on their oval with that very same synthetic, you just go ahead and empty it out and fill it with whatever crap is on sale....that should help any warranty claims, that and the fact you believe the lady about the crush washers. :not:

As I said before it is STILL true:

The factory fills with synthetic,

The factory recommends synthetic,

The worst and cheapest real synthetic oil is a better performing one in any respect then the best non-synthetic which does not mean that non-synthetic will not do its job, but with so much less safety margin what's the point?

The CDs are vastly superior in storing music then vinyl which does not mean that vinyl record will not do its job, but what's the point?

The computer is much better to do the calculations then abacus which does not mean that abacus will not do its job, but what's the point?

You know waranty claims can be a problem when the dealer didn't do the service?

Not in North America, Paul.

For last 20 years I avoid the dealers as much as possible. All my vehicles are serviced by myself from day one and I KNOW that all is properly done without cutting corners and negligence.

I paid good money for cars and bikes, why should I let some apprentice practice his skills on them?

I never had a problem yet with any warranty replacements.

Guest jerroldt

My dealer told me that if I serviced the bike regularly, didn't abuse it and kept records and receipts, the warranty will still be in effect. As for engine oil, I quote from page 108 and 109 in the owners manual:

"Use only oils with high detergent power equivalent or superior to SE, SF or SG duty (SAE 20W-50)". Oil required: 3.5 litres of Agip 4T Super Racing SAE 20W-50.

I don't know what Agip Super Racing 20W-50 means but if it is sythetic, why couldn't they say so?

As an afterthought I did a Google search and found out that the recommended oil is indeed synthetic. I got this from a Ducati web site:

Editor's Note: before you read all this, you might want to consider the short answer from Julian Bond : "Pretty much any synthetic motorcycle oil can be used such as Silkolene Pro-4 or the motorcycle version of Mobil 1. The factory recommend Agip 4T Super racing which is a 5W/40 grade synthetic." Personally, I think you can use any brand name, so long as you change it every 6 weeks. :->)

I am still deciding whether to use synthetic or not. The bike will probably outlive me even if I put cooking oil into the sump.

I am still deciding whether to use synthetic or not. The bike will probably outlive me even if I put cooking oil into the sump.

Should this oil be virgin or extra virgin? Maybe we should take a poll.