Looking for a good tool set

Guest robbrugg

Guest robbrugg

So I'm at the hardware store, thinking that I would pick up a tool set for Guzzi and other projects. There's so many, I'm not sure now what to get. I like Craftsman, and they have tool sets that range from appox 65 - 275 pieces.

Help - before I go buy the cabinet size set!

Rob, this one has all the potential of billowing into a discussion the size of synthetic oil! :lol: I started in...uh, 1969...with a 3/8" drive 12 point socket set, combination wrenchs, two screwdrivers and a pair of pliers...now after...uh, let's see, ten to zero...fourteen minus nine...okay, 35 years---I still have those same tools of indeterminate brand---it has all grown into a three tier roll around chest from years of being a gear head :luigi: and buying stuff 'cuz it looked neat and I needed it once. :homer: I still use the original set alot and have tools of just about every brand...the Craftsman, Snap On, Mac and Proto seem to endure the best, although many reputable parts stores have house brands with lifetime guarantees that are great tools. Any Craftsman set that fits your budget is a good start. If you move around alot, consider staying more compact as moving all this stuff is a real job...you will always fall back to the 3/8 drive set--12 point will often allow your socket into tighter places...metric and std hex key set... a good ball peen hammer of moderate weight (get one that feels right)...a nylon head hammer (for those things you just have to hit, but don't really want to crush or damage)...I have a very large set of channel lock pliers that come in handy for lots of things and have a very small set of wire cutters that I prefer when doing wiring...a couple of vise grips and c clamps of various sizes are handy to have...screwdrivers---1 and 2 blade/phillips short and med length...okay, now you've got me wondering and I'm gonna look at the Craftsman site. Hope this doesn't end up costing me money...LOL. k

Let's face it, tools are toys for men just as much as motorcycles. The more you have, the happier you are. And my teeth grind when I can't do something because I don't have the right tool. My tool box is about 6 foot high, 6 foot wide, and is full. Bear in mind, that I have bikes from different areas of the world, so need whitworth, metric, and imperial standard.

If you are into maintaining your own machines as I am, just do the work right. People who brag they can do any maintenance with a wooden mallet and a vise grip, amuseingly make me feel sorry for them.

Ciao, Steve G.

Contact Al, he can get you a good price on a Binford set...

LMAO.

I agree w/ Stormedge on this.. start with a good basic 3/8" set. I still have my set from Canadian Tire that I bought in the mid eighties..

My advice would be to add on tools each time you need them, which is to say that you should never EVER use the wrong tool for the job (ie vice grips in place of a box end wrench).. So each time you're working on something and don't have the tool, take a break and go buy a good one..

Apart from the tools listed already, get a good torque wrench too.. and a nice plasma TV to hang on the wall of the garage as you work on the bike..!! Oh, and a good set of screwdrivers and allen keys..

Cheers Tim

LMAO...you guys kill me...did anyone notice I listed vise grips with c-clamps...not as pliers or wrenches? Rob, a small center punch, chisel, and a caliper for measuring those things that were supposed to fit will also come in handy...I think I'll go open another string on oil...or maybe plastic trash can liners! LOL :lol: k

Guest Bruce

Metric T handle allens are very handy on the MG. Sears has a half decent set for cheap.

A multi-meter is also very useful. Get one with a 2 volt scale and you can set your TPS. I saw one for $30 which also can also measure temperature and there are some really small ones which fit comfortably in your pocket.

Guest ratchethack

CAUTION - Craftsman tools are some of the best out there overall, but WATCH OUT for the Craftsman T-handle allen wrenches! They're notorious for being undersized and particularly in the >6mm sizes, they'll knacker the hell out of even your hardened bolts. You can & will end up having to replace those hard-to-find hardened, odd-length bolts. (Ask me how I know). :blink: