Ride height adjustment.

Ballacraine

Yes, here I am again, picking everyone's brains.... :rolleyes::huh:

I know I touched on this issue in another thread, I now have a more specific question & a little more data.

OK.....The bike is a 2002 Scura. I weigh 147lbs & am 5'7" on a good day. <_>

No problem with the pegs or bars.

Ground is about 1/2" to 1" too far away for comfort.

What is my best method of lowering it a little, please?

TIA

Nige. :unsure:

I think the easiest way to make the bike lower is by having a seat made more narrow and lower to suit your needs.

If you want to lower the bike with the suspension, I think you could raise the front forks in the triple clamps about 13mm. This will make the bike turn quicker and will make the bike lean less while on the side stand. Loosening up the rear shock preload will also help somewhat.

Mike

Thanks for the input, Mike.

I am begining to think you may be right with your call on the seat modification.

That said will that 13mm raise make the plot 'twitchty'?

Nige. :unsure:

If you raise forks you'll lose ground clearance, watch out for sidestand grounding esp if you soften rear & you lean over in bumpy corners. Softening rear may also encourage wallow in same. Depends how you ride, if you're pretty steady this doesn't matter. I'd think seat would be best place to lose height if you can although like's been said it's not that thick to start...oh dear :huh:

KB :sun:

We are not talking about much here,KB.....an inch at most....combining this with a narrower section on the seat squab.....It may well be just enough.

Just need to source a second hand seat squab.

Nige. :blink:

Guest dkgross

I'm only slightly taller than you. My solution was two-fold: A Rich Maund seat, and a visit to my local cobbler to get thicker Vibram soles put on the bottom of my riding boots. I can't flat foot it completetly with both feet, but a little lean to the left is all she takes.

Guest John Y

I'm a short-arse too (5'7") who also has short legs + long body/arms - perfect Guzzi physique! I ended up dumping almost all the pre-load, front and back, and also dropped the forks about 10mm in the triple clamps (I added 10mm spacers between the clip-ons and the top triple clamp to retain the stock handlebar height). There was no degradation of handling, and I don't ride hard enough to notice the tiny loss of ground clearance.

It's still slightly tippy-toed for me on an uneven surface but I'll live with that!

Having done a couple of laps of the Island (about 160miles), I have to say that the suspension IS the finest I have ever had in 30 years of riding!

I am reluctant now, to adjust anything in case I bugger it up! :blink:

I think I will start with the seat mod. & see where that gets me.

Thanks for all the feedback so far....

Nige. B)

Ride fast and lean very far in corners. You will find you are very close to the ground. Rossi and Biaggi are small guys too!!!!

Yes, but they don't have to stop for traffic lights. :blink:

Nige ;):D