Rich Maund v. Corbin seat

F344

Now that I've had the weekend to to ride Rich's seat, I can say that I definately prefer his to the Corbin, although I prefer them both to the stock seat.

Rich's seat gets me lower and is more comfortable. And I like the material better too. Lastly Rich was able to do the Italian flag thing, and the Corbin guys said they couldn't do that anymore.

• Like 1

Thanks for the review :thumbsup:

I'm hoping that sometime in the near future, we can all get together for a ride, and someone attending with have a Rich Maund seat fitted.... so I can take a sit and compare.

I've been considering just biting the bullet and buying one of Rich's seats, then selling the one I like least.... and in the end may be what I do :huh2:

I like my Corbin, but I'd like to have the ability to attach the cowl(poor reason to switch seats, I know :rolleyes: )... but more importantly, while "comfortable" and better than stock, I still don't feel quite right on the Corbin at times... too much fore/aft sliding even after I had them extensively modify the seat.

al

I thought the front of the seat was too high, too rounded on top, and the whole thing was too soft.

I also think the material that both Corbin and especially Rich use, feels, and looks much nicer.

Now I have more useable room on the seat, and it feels like my bike in an inch and a half shorter. That is from both the lower and narrower changes in the seat.

Frank

I also think the material that both Corbin and especially Rich use, feels, and looks much nicer.

Now I have more useable room on the seat, and it feels like my bike in an inch and a half shorter. That is from both the lower and narrower changes in the seat.

Frank

Dear F344,

I am looking at buying Rich's seat - did you get yours modified, compared to say me ordering directly from Australia.

If I said - make one up like 'this' - will they know what I'm talking about.

Yeah - that material even in the pictures gets the thumbs up & will suit the Scura carbon touches :grin:

Thanks for the pics & the advise.

When I contacted Rich to do my seat, I described the areas of discomfort and he worked it over to eliminate the pressure points. In my case, the front was also too high and caused pressure points on the backs of both thighs that made my legs go to sleep. Between his work and the rubber footpeg mod (he also makes the pin bushings for this), I am much more comfortable. k

I have not tried Rich's seat.

But comparing the stock seat to the Corbin, I find my butt takes four times longer to get tired with the Corbin. With the Stock seat I have to stand up and air out every fifteen minutes.

But the Corbin is not perfect.

It is much heavier than stock, and the way mine is cut, I slide forward too easily.

I still prefer it to the stock seat, but I recommend getting them to custom fit it.

I am considering knee rests to prevent sliding forward.

I have already put the clamps higher on the forks to compensate at the expense of stability...

I realize this may be somewhat blasphemous, but try out a sheepskin. I used to think they were ridiculous, but now I use one for long rides, along with a Rich Maund seat, and I've stayed in the saddle for upwards of 12 hours. Sheepskins are cooler, they lift you up about 1/2" (1.3 cm) and keep you from sliding around. Downside- it's harder to slide sideways off the bike for hard cornering. I have one in black, so it doesn't look so bad. Baaa

J

I went for the Rich Maund seat; it is styled correctly in keeping with the 'blacked-out' Scura look. It is ridiculously superior to the stock seat; I can now do 2 full tankfuls back to back (250 miles) without needing a good 'airing'. I also have the MPH cycles bar risers and the evoluzione peg kit installed. With all three, the bike is as comfortable as I suppose it can be made for someone of my .....ahem.....stature (6' 3" and 240lbs).

If you'd like, I'll be happy to take pictures of the seat and set-up............but I can't right now. I rode the bike down to the middle of nowhere NJ and left it for suspension work at Pro Pilot racing. Jim will finally sort out the issues with the OEM Ohlins suspension on the Scura/Rosso/Nero etc..........

On that issue, I'm waiting with baited breath to see what he'll suggest to 'fix' the high-priced kit and I will of course report it all back to you guys...........I'm assuming he'll want to do a revalve and heavier springs, but I didn't suggest anything.........We took static measurements and I went on my way. BTW, ProPilot was the suggestion of Ohlins USA, and his shop looks like all business to me. We'll see how it goes.................

Dan

Hi Ralph,

I know there's been some heated discussion on this forum over Ohlins kit so I've stayed away from it.

Meanwhile, this has been my experience: I've owned Ohlins before on other bikes and found it to be the most compliant and wonderful addition to make to a bike, a major reason why I bought the Scura which came with the 'upgraded' suspension. However, from day one, I was really unimpressed with the ride from my 02: Harsh, not progressive, and generally giving less information from the contact patches. I never felt like I was 'sinking down' into the road, more like I was chattering across it.

From the discussions here, as well as from talking to Todd Eagan and others, it's pretty much the consensus that the Ohlins kit was built exclusively for MG with track valving and springs suited for race 'built' guys of around 170-180 lbs..............not what aftermarket ohlins suspension is usually sold for most street duty. I called Ohlins USA to see who was capable of sorting out the suspension for me; of course, I was already annoyed that the 'upgrade' I was supposedly paying for was in reality probably quite inferior in practice to the 'standard' suspension on other V11's and LeMans's . I didn't sweat it much since I had bought the Scura as a leftover and paid peanuts for it; still it's been a hell of a hassle so far sorting it out..........we'll still get to see how expensive, too.

Anyway, the Ohlins guys recommended Jim at propilot for my modification work. Very few people in the country have access to real ohlins springs and valve kits and are capable of really doing right by the job; My dealer, for example, as much as admitted that the shock was incorrectly valved but he was unable to obtain the correcting parts from Ohlins. However, just seeing Jim's workshop convinces me that he is one who Ohlins USA has wisely put their trust in to correctly modify their equipment: clean and large with measurement equipment and hundreds of springs lined up on the shelves.............neat. If you happen really fine wrencher (I couldn't imagine being able to remove my own forks and reinstalling them, although I know many of you can) , Jim offers a special box to ship your shock/forks into him and with static measurements you provide on a questionnaire, he will do what is necessary to make your suspension (even if it's not ohlins) perform to its best abilities. He's a race guy first and foremost, but clearly knows what's different about the street. Check out his website and give him a call. Most impressive.

I'll be getting my bike back in about a week and will report again on the *hopefully* improvement along with costs. Todd's also asked me to write up the experience for his website and I'll do that after logging a few hundred miles on the new improved stuff...........assuming it's improved ^_^

PRO PILOT RACING

Dan