2002 Replacement Cases

Well, as mentioned elsewhere, Moto Italiano in San Mateo finally received my replacement case last week :thumbsup: .....and I went up there this afternoon to inspect them.

It appears that Moto Guzzi is shipping some of these cases in a haphazard fashion, with minimal packing, and some are arriving damaged.... in some cases actually broken.

Mine arrived damaged as well, but I was told that it was minor and cosmetic, and they wanted me to inspect the case first before accepting them, which I really appreciated.

In the end it turns out that there was indeed a small knick in the paint on the starter bell, but it's a minor nit that the starter cover will obscure, and a little black touch-up paint will make invisible. So since I don't want to wait forever to receive another case from MGNA, perhaps even receiving a case more damaged , we plan to have the case swap taken care of within the next couple/three weeks depending on scheduling.

I'm in no great hurry, but they said they'd work me ASAP, and it should take a week, maybe two max to get the work complete as they have a whole "recall" lift/bay dedicated to this warantee work and the trans recall. So they can focus on working these issues in parallel with other service work, and just get it done and out the door ASAP.

So, how does it look? As noted elsewhere, the finish on the new case is a bit different hue of black and maybe the "fuzzy" is a slightly different texture, but basically is "close enough" when I held it up to another 2002 bike they had in the showroom. I think that once installed, one will be able to tell the difference, but it won't be a standout unless one is looking for it.

Once it's all done, I'll update the thread with "after" photos.

BTW, MI said they plan to reapply the engine serial# with some punches they have, but we'll see how that works out.

I tell ya, it's funny.... the engine case sure looks a whole lot smaller when it's out of the bike ^_^

Guest John Y

Cool! It'll be easier to blast to an alloy finish while it's bare... :o (I'm kidding!)

My 02 case paint seems fine although I've only done 5000kms - if it ever starts to flake I'll figure some way of stripping all of that awful finish off (the local importer/dealer here would NEVER agree to a case swap, and I prefer a bare alloy finish anyway), but to each their own. :thumbsup:

Spray carb cleaner works great. Let it soak for a minute then you can wipe the paint off with a finger. By the way, don't accidently grab carb cleaner to clean up a small oil weep. :blink::homer:

What is done about VIN numbers? It doesn't look like the case has a VIN stamped on it. Do they transfer the old VIN, or give you a new one, or just leave it without a number?

I have a replacement case Eldo engine that has no number on it. It's kind of weird.

J

On my case swap, they just left that patch blank. I don't know how much I care (although I believe that blank panel will make fencing parts of the bike easier if it's ever stolen).

I'm not concerned about the serial number, but asked just out of curiosity. As mentioned, they said they have a punch kit and will replace the number on the new case.

We'll see though.... it's not a big deal to me... although I guess I'd "prefer" they did ^_^

al

Guest Jeff Kelland

My new cases had no VIN either. Any motor vehicle is titled and registered by its chassis number. The original numbers are stamped in a dotted matrix that makes them difficult to tamper with. I left mine blank. I would guess that putting numbers in the cases would be illegal, and likey to create problems down the road. Something to think about, or ask the RMV.

Yeah what John said. You might get pulled over by some over zealous cop, who would swear you ground off the serial # & give you a bunch of grief. Think of all the hassle & then having to prove this was a factory recall & providing the paperwork after your bike has been towed & impounded.

Well, I don't know if it helps put it in perspective, but Moto Italiano and I started this process about 10 months ago, and were actually "scheduled" to have this done last Jan/Feb :huh2:

So depending on when you started the process.... :unsure:

Guest John T
Well, I don't know if it helps put it in perspective, but Moto Italiano and I started this process about 10 months ago,

Totally unacceptable!!!!!:bbblll:

I think you didn't make enough noise and phone calls to both Moto italiano and MGNA.

Pains in the asses get the attention. Maybe even threats about getting pit bull lawyers on the scene...... worked for me in the past. :thumbsup:

Well, I hear ya, but dunno :unsure: ..... MI really wanted to get these recalls done in the off-season during the Winter. So it was to their advantage to have tried to get it done ASAP. I think they really tried, and they kept me in status... it just took forever.

In their case(no pun intended :P ) they had to ship back a couple of broken/damaged cases during this time-frame, so I think actually received 3 sets before the "acceptable" ones we've got in hand now arrived :huh2:

They completed one swap before me, and still have about 8 more to go.

But anyway, I'm just glad it's here finally.

al