PCIII custom mapping

Guest Marcel

Guest Marcel

Hi all,

had one of NL's more respectable (or at least famous) dynojet guys make me a map today (name's Ruud Fredriks). I'll scan the Dyno run tomorrow but in short, the bhp went up from 75 to 82 at the rear. Torque from 90 to 94. Me happy :bike:

Even more important, the area where the power is delivered was extended significantly as well. Powering away from lower revs has never been better and I added another 10 km/h to a strip of road I often take (Lekdijk for those in the Utrecht area)

But now for the shocking part .... I am using the PCIII with PCs own 'Stock European Bike' setup (which is something I don't have nowadays....) For this setup, the 100% throttle went from -20% to +20% That's an AMAZING difference (over nearly the full range of RPM) The engine was running WAY to lean, so lean that if I'd ridden it too long like this I could have caused damage. Me not happy :(

The comment was that every bike/PCIII combo is unique and that therefore, much caution should be exercised in applying internet maps (this from someone who allegedly installed more than 500 PCIIIs).

Another interesting comment was that there are two brands he likes doing best, being Moto Guzzi and HD. The reason? They will always improve! :wacko: For that matter, there were 3 Guzzi's there this afternoon: my V11, a 1100 daytona (?) and a V10 centauro. What a coincidence.

For Dutch/Belgian people: if you're not willing to spend the e350 euro + custom mapping cost, then he can make you a new eprom with similar additions/mods as the PCIII. Comes to less than half the total cost of a new PCIII + map. Maybe worthwile since you don't need the extra box under your buddy either.

Heh, good results, although for a moment there I thought a BIG error had been made when you quoted torque increasing from "90 to 94", when these bikes make mid 60's lb-ft at best :huh:

...then I noticed/realized that you were in Europe ^_^

Anyway, with regard to his making a new chip, are you sure he was talking about 15M equipped bikes like the V11 Sport? As far as I know, the 15M cannot be "chipped", but bikes with the 16M ECU can. Bikes like the Sport1100, Centauro, etc.. :huh2:

al

had one of NL's more respectable (or at least famous) dynojet guys make me a map today (name's Ruud Fredriks).

Marcel, Good to know, thanks.

The comment was that every bike/PCIII combo is unique and that therefore, much caution should be exercised in applying internet maps (this from someone who allegedly installed more than 500 PCIIIs).

True, but your situation had more to do with your TPS voltage/setting then that of the PCIII throttle setting within the unit. Your statement is very valid.

For that matter, there were 3 Guzzi's there this afternoon: my V11, a 1100 daytona (?) and a V10 centauro. What a coincidence.

Heh, wow... very coincidental for sure. Happens to be they both had to be using one of my custom PCIII's.

For Dutch/Belgian people: if you're not willing to spend the e350 euro + custom mapping cost, then he can make you a new eprom with similar additions/mods as the PCIII. Comes to less than half the total cost of a new PCIII + map. Maybe worthwile since you don't need the extra box under your buddy either.

Point that I covered on my write-up on GuzziTech.com "Power Commander - Black Box Magic". Summarized... that there may be a very small handful of people that are capable of mapping without a PCIII, none are as quick-vs-accuracy, and typically until now, no where close on cost, as it can take 4-6 hours to build a custom map without a Tuning Linked PCIII. Those who own an older '96-98 Guzzi will be limited to this option, or other ECU's once my current custom PCIIIusb batch is depleted.

Glad to hear you took the time to go all the way through to custom mapping, and even more glad to hear you share the same outcome.

My $.02,

Todd@GuzziTech.com

Certified Power Commander Tech

Guest Marcel

Hi,

with regard to the chip: I'm sure he said he could do the 15m. He named a few of them, and the 15m and 16m where included. I know since he was saying this when doing the Centauro (16m), and he re-mentioned it when my bike went up.

I'm not an expert on this so I don't know - but he does have a reputation here. He used to be the guy the Dutch mag's went to for the testbank results of new bikes.

Guest dkgross

Todd..all went well with my PCIII/FBF Airbox install today. I definetly notice the difference with the map you installed. Much more power in the lower RPM range, and smoother in the 5-7k range..No big 'boost' of power..just more smooth all the way up.

for lack of better terms...the bike sounds and feels 'thicker' and more solid. I swear, the pitch of the exhause dropped a 1/2 step or so.

I won't be able to get the bike dyno'd until next week. None of the 'authorized' shops in town seem to want to mess with it, but there's a guy in Seattle named George Dean who's been a bike service/tuning icon around these parts for years. I met him today, and we're going to hook up next week when he gets back from Laguna Seca.

I'll send you the final map and dyno info, as well as post results here when she's done. For now, I'm just gonna enjoy it as she sits :)