Tacho moisture.

Guest nitro nori 41

Guest nitro nori 41

Hi all,

My 03 Corsa has water,condensation, in the tacho on a regular basis.

Ive got the new generation guages, ITI, black face,

How many of u out there have the same problem?????.

Has anyone had a warranty replacement or other fix.

TA, JM. :luigi:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bshpilot

i dont have the same guages but ive got the same problem....

im told itll be covered under warrenty...but i havent seen

or heard about a replacement

JM

This is a fairly common problem.. I tried a search in this forum for a thread where folks were talking about drilling a vent hole in the gauge cluster. Couldn't find it off hand, but I know its out there.

My replacement tach (for the original which sat at 1500 rpm when off) fogged at first, but then hasn't fogged in 1500 miles..

Cheers. Tim

My 04 Ballabio had the same problem when I first got it. Folks on this site gave the advice of drilling a 1/4 inch hole in the back of the housing (THE BLACK PLASTIC HOUSING ONLY...NOT THE INNER TACH SHELL) I drilled mine at the lowest point in the housing when it is mounted on the bike...sort of like a drain hole. Problem solved. :thumbsup: Even in rain or muggy days it is nice and dry.

Randy

I just got some slight condensation in my tach this week, from the day the bike sat out at work and a couple of thundershowers came through. The next day it was sunny and warm, the next time I looked, it (the condensation) was all gone. Other than this one time, I've not had any condensation issues. :thumbsup:

I'm in too. My Scura has the same problem and Ill have the dealer fixing it at next service (10.000km - warranty).

I don't like to drill if the bike is still under warranty - otherwise I would have done it on the spot.

Søren

I think that my very first post here was about this and I discovered that there had been lots of posts before... and there have been lots since.

This is one of those simple little issues that are so utterly perplexing. I took the tach off and thoroughly dried it out. Made no difference.

I drilled a hole to make the tacho side as identical to the speedo side as possible (as the speedo doesn't fog) – the main difference is that the speedo has a lage hole in the METAL case where the reset shaft goes through, which would allow an exchange of air. Made no difference.

Interestingly it seems that the latest clocks. which are completely different models as I understand it, are suffering in the same way as the earlier Veglia units. ?

It's hard to see that there can be a warranty fix (exchange) when it appears to be an inherent problem.

I've got used to it .... I kinda like it...I have no interest in fixing it... you can grow to accept these things...

I got used to mine too. Until the rust detached the case mounts...

Guest Gary Cheek

An occasional application of plain old automotive finish wax can do a remarkable job . Just work some good paste wax around the perimeter of the glass ,where the bezel and glass meet . Try to work it in tightly at the joint . Allow to dry and lightly rub away excess with a circular motion . The wax lasts quite a while and does a good job of preventing the moisture from getting in at that point.

Guest bshpilot
An occasional application of plain old automotive finish wax can do a remarkable job . Just work some good paste wax around the perimeter of the glass ,where the bezel and glass meet . Try to work it in tightly at the joint . Allow to dry and lightly rub away excess with a circular motion . The wax lasts quite a while and does a good job of preventing the moisture from getting in at that point.

good tip...i wasnt aware of where the leak was...

makes me wonder why only the TACH leaks though