Rear Ride Height Adjustment

Guest 2001f4s

Guest 2001f4s

Any suggestions on an easy way to access the rear shock for height adjustment on a Scura. It seems that the left carbon fiber side panel is a little sticky on removal. And accessing from under the seat aint easy.

Thanks

Scott

Guest ratchethack

Scott, when I got my Sport over a year ago I posted an inquiry on this on Guzzi Tech. I was hoping for some secret easy access to the preload adjustment collar. There ain't any magic way as long as you have the airbox in place. With it removed (I had mine out to crab the frame to get the trans out for recall work), it looks like it would be somewhat easier, though I haven't tried it. I've resigned myself to adjusting the shock with the airbox and side panels in place by getting a good light source in there and carefully putting a long-shafted screwdriver through the little space beneath the mounting tab at the back of the tank (either side). I find that it's only "moderately" tedious. You can drive loose the lock ring with a hammer, then similarly "whack adjust" the preload collar. Per the recommendation I got on Guzzi Tech, depending on how dirty it is in there, it can help a great deal if you start with a good shot of WD-40 on the threads of the shock body and scrub it as free of grime & grit you can with a rag. Good luck & hope this helps. :luigi:

Guest 2001f4s

Thanks you guys, that was very helpful.

And i was proud that Al didn't respond with a long list of existing threads....perhaps there is hope for me yet.

Doubtful B)

Guest Graham in NZ

Adjusting the rear shock preload isn't difficult at all, but it's not really a ride-height adjustment as such.

Remove the seat.

Release the rear fuel tank fixing bolt and raise the tank rear a bit on a picee of wood or similar.

Working from the top, use a long screwdriver and mallet and slacken the castellated locking ring.

Put a blob of paint on the top of the castellated spring adjusting ring.

Use the screwdriver and mallet to rotate the castellated adjusting ring. In my case I added 2.5 turns of preload to get good static and laden sag figures.

Re-tighten the locking ring with the screw driver and mallet.

QED

Like people above have said it's easy enough to adjust with a long, wide blade flat screwdriver tapped w/ a rubber hammer accessed thru small space between s/panels & tank w/airbox in place. Be careful not to clout the tank paint. You don't need to loosen the tank, tho taking the seat off means you can see what you're doing. I also use a blob of paint so's to see where I started from.

KB :sun: