False Neutrals

Guest 2001f4s

Guest 2001f4s

When upshifting I pickup a lot of false neutrals. On an 150 mile ride, it happens probably 3 times. I perform about 1/2 of my upshifts without a clutch (the bike seems happy with this)

Is this common to the V11? Will it reduce as the bike breaks in?

Do I need to return to my basic riding course and learn how to shift?

I am riding my California aluminum 2003 with 500 miles on it... I has the 5 speed gear box but, I do have the same problem of false neutrals...

I think the shift requires more presition on the drivers' actions, I notice that it hapens more often when my handling is a bit too relaxed...

I always use the clutch.

The few times I did not use it the bike seems happy when I but I do not like to take chances.

Anthro

I rarely get any false neutrals. But coming from BMW's I have developed the "BMW shift technique". That is: I keep light upward force on the shift lever as I release the clutch during upshifts. Usually I don't detect any feedback through my toe, but on occasion I can "feel" that my light pressure has helped things engage cleanly, smoothly. The Bemers are the same way, many riders of this brand do this. Maybe the new-new stuff is different.

If you are used to riding Japanese stuff (and maybe some other brands) the Guzzi takes a slight technique adjustment compared to others. :bike:

Attention to the linkage made the biggest difference for me. Also, milage, fresh oil, positive shifting, and on the up shifts I 'fan' the clutch. Almost effortless now and rarely hit an unexpected neutreals. When I do its because I've barely touched the shifter. Pilot error for sure.

There was also quite a learning curve for this bike, now its smooth and easy, although after 2 years I'm still learning.

Guest steveguzzi

I too have come off beemers, and find the new Guzzi gearbox wonderful. I rarely get false neutrals and generally do clutchless upchanges over 4-5-6, and sometimes downchanges as well. As Keith says it works well if you provide upward pressure with your toes on the lever,prior to making the upchange.

If you still get false neutrals then check the linkages for slop.

Cheers,

Steve

I've never had a false neutral on upshift, but occasionally find a false neutral between 3rd and 4th on a lazy downshift.

It sucks when you're riding in a spirited fashion and you're relying on the engine braking to let you make the corner :)

It actually happened yesterday when Ingrid was riding my V11. She's so used to riding the super smooth shifting Ex250 that when she found the false neutral she pulled over because she thought she'd found a mechanical problem.

I'm of the opinion (cough, cough, smirk...), that they aren't "false" neutrals at all. I think Moto Guzzi puts 'em there on purpose. Every bike ships with at least 3 extra neutral positions to make up for the sporadic operation of the neutral light switch. :lol:

Actually, just changing the shift lever for a more downward angle will alleviate a lot of the upshift problems.