Guzzi Ti cans/ECU kit

Baldini

I agree.  The Ti Pipe/ECU w/Stucci xover was the first mod I did.  Made a HUGE difference, all on its own.  I may have just left it alone at that point, but..what the hell.... Then I put the FBF airbox and PCIII on, and did the Dyno Run.  Just seeing the numbers all up on the screen, and being tweaked, and watching the graphs change on the next pass was really fascinating ...

Dave,

Prior to fitting the PC & dyno run - had you had the std FI set up by an expert?

KB :sun:

Dave,

Prior to fitting the PC & dyno run - had you had the std FI set up by an expert?

KB :

It really doesn't matter. An "expert" cannot change the map of the fuel injection, all he can do is make the bike run the best it can by synching the throttle bodies and making sure the tps is within spec. This should be done no matter what you do.

The Guzzis I have done (both stock and with the ecu/Ti systems) were all lean (except Centauros with aftermaket chips). They all ran much better after a proper custom map was made.

Your bike may feel like it is running good but it can and will run better with the right map. Drivability will be perfect.

Remember, too lean and the engine will run hot and this can burn out exhaust valves. Too rich and the bike will wash the oil off the cylinder walls and contaminate the oil with gasoline. This just wears engines out way too soon.

John,

So... an ECU mapped for a specific model /accessories can not give perfect fueling on an individual bike cos even tho specs are same each bike is slightly different - a PC is necessary in all vehicles without an adjustable ECU to achieve optimum fueling?

The ECU with a fixed map gets you in the ballpark but the PC adds adjustability & dyno fine tunes fueling via PC for an individual bike?

I'm not being funny here - just trying to understand something I know nothing about.... :blush:

Thanks, KB :sun:

Dave,

KB :sun:

33839[/snapback]

KB..yeah...Moto International did the initial setup/install tuning of the Ti Kit. And the bike ran REALLY great and was a big difference after that install. I just kept reading what everyone here kept saying about the FBF Airbox and the PCIII, so, well..ya know... :)

While the site was down, I received my Ti kit. I installed it per the instructions (on a totally stock '04 V11 Nero) and ran it for a week. With the supplied ECU the driving oerformance was not so good. At 3000-3200 rpm there was a bad spit/cough/backfire through the intake. At crusing rpm it was slightly better 3500-4000 rpm, but I still experienced too frequent coughs/spits. On the bright side, the fuel mileage was up to 43/44 mpg. It sounds great, look sweet and saves weight, but the drivability sucked, and my perception was it didn't pull any stronger or harder than it did before, if anything weaker it seemed. :(

After the week (about 180 miles) I went back to the ECU the bike had on it before. **NOTE** Recall my story of the bike dying on me 3 times the first 2 weeks I had it, after this the original ECU that came with the bike was changed by the dealer. And I am sure the dealer richened up the map as I complained of similar cough/spit at the 1000 initial mile service point. After this I had no spits/cough. It was rich as the pipes (original mufflers) have some carbon sootiness on their outlets after a couple months of running.

After swapping out the ECU"S (back to "stock") the drivability was restored. It runs sweet, sound great, looks nice (except for the left can being an inch higher than the right one), pulls hard - its A-OK by me. :P The mileage is back to "normal (39-40 mpg).

I'll admit it could likely run better with a PC and the right person dialing it in, but due to my location these places are 3-4 hours away and would require a couple of trips to do the deal. For me, it runs just fine, so I'll ride it!

FYI on the weight savings, stock cans/brackets (the take-off stuff) weighs 10.1 lbs each side, 20.2 lbs total. The Ti cans/brackets (stuff you put back on) weighs 9.7 lbs total. Regards.