Polished valve covers

Guest robbrugg

Guest robbrugg

Dude - why bother to reply without an answer? Are you some kind of forum bully?

Someone help me - I'm being bullied by big Brian Robson! :o

(CAST ALUMINUM)

Guest Brian Robson

Being somewhat shy and retiring with a gentlemanly countenace that at times hovers close to reticence, I am somewhat shocked by the bully accusation :o:o

But honestly, what were the choice options for valve cover material?

Would you have believed any answer other than that of aluminium? :huh2:

- I'm thinking about just buying a buffer/polisher. Anyone have any ideas of a good/but-not-too-expensive tool?

I have polishing equipment, the problem with the Guzzi valve covers is that the paing they use is very hard. No paint stripper I had would soften the paint. After many tries, I sent the valve covers to Orrin. A few days after he had received them he emailed me and told me that his aircraft paint stripper wouldn't touch the paint on the valve covers. He had to hand sand the valve covers down so he could polish them. To me, I saved a bunch of money and time by shipping the valve covers out to be polished. :thumbsup:

Mike

Guest robbrugg
- I'm thinking about just buying a buffer/polisher. Anyone have any ideas of a good/but-not-too-expensive tool?

I have polishing equipment, the problem with the Guzzi valve covers is that the paing they use is very hard.  No paint stripper I had would soften the paint.  After many tries, I sent the valve covers to Orrin.  A few days after he had received them he emailed me and told me that his aircraft paint stripper wouldn't touch the paint on the valve covers.  He had to hand sand the valve covers down so he could polish them.  To me, I saved a bunch of money and time by shipping the valve covers out to be polished.  :thumbsup:

Mike

34837[/snapback]

Funny - I just finished removing the paint off the covers and plug guards with Aircraft paint remover. I sprayed it on, put the parts in a plastic bag, waited 15 minutes, then just ran them under a faucet - the paint FELL off!

I rough polished one just to see it shine, but I will check into having someone buff them out for me. Looks very cool...