Bubbling engine paint

Baldini

Yes, only affected V11 Sport Varieties:

2001 Rosso Mandello

2002 V11 Sport Naked

2002 V11 LeMans

2002 Tenni

2002 V11 Scura

...so basically only 2002 models, except the RM, have the "fuzzy" black paint on the drivetrain that is susceptible to bubbling. Based upon my observations, in most cases it seems most severely associated with exposure to heat.

Afterwards MG used a "satin"/semi-gloss black paint that seems to be holding up well for owners so far.

al

Nick, AFAIK the bad paint only was used on 2002 and beginning of 2003 models. The glossy paint they used after that seems to be ok.

37220[/snapback]

Correct, the 2001 RM, all 2002 models,and most early 03 Califonia models have the "fuzzy", peeling paint. Not sure on the 03 v11 naked non-crossover bikes.

We have done, to date, 6 crankcase replacements. A few more in the pipe.

1800 to 8000 miles. Seems to be heat/mileage related, but that is just a hunch.

We tried to "strip" the black off one. The undercoat is some tougth stuff.

All strippers/acetone.MEK,blowtorch, all leave just a further bubbled black mess.

Incidentally, touch wood, my wrinkle finish is holding up well....and the Guzzi's too  :D

Nige.  B)

34664[/snapback]

Scura just turned 6000 miles and not a whisper of peeling or bubbling paint to be found anywhere on the case (No jinx) (also no bad clutch noises, or spring noises, or any other unwanted noises) [NO JINX] --- just loverly V-twin noises ! :bike:

Just a lucky one to come out of the Factory? A particularily slow old man underrevving a very quick sport bike? Dunno..........but it works for me. :)

Dan

Nick, AFAIK the bad paint only was used on 2002 and beginning of 2003 models. The glossy paint they used after that seems to be ok.

37220[/snapback]

hmmmmmmmm,so why is the paint on my 2001 rosso mandello looking like its got big black barnacles growing alll over...

The finish when new looked gorgeous,the gearbox is still fine. The bevel box paint didn't blister either...it just flaked off!!

Poor preparation and painting too quickly I feel caused the problem.

I have stripped my bevel box,coated with etch primer and repainted semi glos black. No problems here now....but,no crinkle finish. Shame would love to find a supplier of crinkle finish heat resistant paint. Engine paint has not flaked off yet but has badly blistered,will leave until I find a suitable paint to match finish.

Well I picked up some HD crinkle paint. $12.95 :blink: a can. I will probably try it this weekend. I left my camera at work so ya'll will have to wait for some pics. But I will let you know.