rear bevel box play

Guest cliffy

:luigi: Hi im just wondering if there should be any "lateral" play of the rear bevel box in situ on the axle ( i.e. should there be any play if held at the top and bottom and rocked by hand ! ) all seems to be working normally and with no leaks!! But there is a very small amont of play ( the bike has only done 5,500 miles and not been thrashed !!) I would welcome any comments on this cheers all :bier:

Guest Brian Robson

Check the outer support bearing. It is a needle bearing and if not greased will start to disintegrate and give lateral play.....its an expensive bearing, don't ask me how I know!

It's worth checking these bearings from new. Mine had no grease in it.

KB :sun:

35246[/snapback]

The grease pot at Mandello has an almost mythical status, a bit like the Unicorn :D .

Not only does that bearing rarely have any grease in it it also has a nice little hole to allow water in through the inner bearing race :bbblll:

I dunno if my little schpiel on stripping a bevelbox is still available on this site? If it is the pics there show you the various bits and pieces.

Incidentally, if it *is* stored somewhere could somebody e-mail it back to me or to the Guzzitech site as I think it's probably worth keeping even though most people are a bit confused by the chicken.

pete

Hi Pete,

I printed a pdf document from it- you want that? Where do you want me to send it?

One of the pictures got chopped in two, but that's the worst that happened.

It's not really the chicken that confuses me, but I'm having a helluva time fitting the box back on the front forks... :rasta:

J