Paint for plastic body parts?

slug

Has anyone had any experience with repainting the plastic body pieces (such as the tailpiece and the covers where the intakes come out of the airbox) on a V11?

If so, what type of paint/primer (besides Krylon!) is best for this? Also, is there any special prep work involved? I have someone that can spray it for me, but I have to find the paint and do the prep.

I have some ugly scratches and paint damage that go all the way in to the plastic. :angry:

Thanks all,

- Slug

Yep, you need special prep work for plastics such as those used on our bodywork, otherwise the paint will not adhere and will likely flake/peel off.

You may get lucky if you paint over the existing paint, or even if you strip it down to the plastic, but generally the paint will not stand up to any stress without proper primer.

What you need to do is go down to your local automotive paint supply store, and explain what you are trying to do. They will provide you with a special spray-on primer(usually clear), that is essentially "glue". Once applied properly(and there are usually specific dual-application and "timing" instructions you must follow closely) you can shoot the base or color coat.

You may be able to use the new "plastic" paints out there as the primer coat, but I haven't tried it in that application. One thing I have learned from those paints though, is that they are relatively transparent(will often show marks on the plastic under the paint), and don't often provide a very consistent finished product on some plastics.

.... *but*, if you can afford it, I would recommend getting the body panels shot by a professional. The finish from any "rattle can" is going to be far less appealing and durable than a professional finish.

It cost about $300 to paint my tank, if that's any helpful reference. But it looks like a factory job :sun:

al

If you want to primer ABS plastic prior to using paint, you can use the plastic rain gutter ABS primer. A very pretty near-mahogany color. Totally inappropriate for a sport bike.

35346[/snapback]

Cool, thanks all.

Since it has to be repainted anyway, maybe I'll use this as an opportunity to play around. What's the worst that could happen, besides the stripper or paint eating through the plastic?

I love the idea of the "inappropriate for a sportbike" color. Hmm, maybe I'll use some of that simulated wood grain contact paper :nerd:

-Slug