Front trans seal leak

Guest Aughtsix

Guest Aughtsix

I'm wondering - Once a front trans seal shows evidence of a leak, is it destined to fail?

In the bike I'm looking at, the front transmission seal evidently leaked with RedLine Shockproof in it and now doesn't with the thicker standard lube in it.

Is this something that should be of concern?

Steve

If the new 6 speed transmission is like the old 5 speed, then the leak is probably through the clutch pushrod seals, not the front seal. That's not a big deal. Use thicker oil. If it really is a front main seal leak, then yes it will eventually get worse, but honestly, it's pretty easy to drop the transmission and fix it.

Also, it occurs to me...do a search on poster 'callison' regarding a cracked transmission casing. Doubtful that this is the problem, but it's worth looking at.

Jason

both require trans removal. The price of the bike should reflect in the cost of shop labor. I find removing the engine quicker for me to do inbetween case work.

Guest Aughtsix
My guess is somewhere in the 4 hour range.  That's just a guess though. 

In MY shop, it'd be 8+ hours over the course of several days with a small amount of beer involved.

J

35666[/snapback]

I like the sound of that shop.

Probably really good labor rates too...

:bier:

Steve

I broke a clutch plate in my California a couple of years back. Took it apart to replace both disks (3 month wait for parts from MGNA too - twits) and had it back together in spare time after work in about a week (the California is a nightmare to take apart compared to a V11 Sport). Took it for a test ride and got mucho oil from the transmission. Clutch push rod seals. I was so disgusted I let the bike sit for another 18 months before putting it back together. Must've done okay (lot's of parts left over - no idea of where they go) as that was the bike I used for the ride with the rest of this sites Northern California contingent recently. No leaks after 1500 miles. I don't know what the seal arrangement on the V11 Sport is like. All I know is installing the hydraulic clutch actuator bits at the back of the tranmission backwards involves nearly the same quantity of explitives to remedy as changing a tire. :D