starting problem

Guest rosso mandello

Guest rosso mandello

HELLO. Can anyone help me getting my ROSSO MANDELLO started. When I press the starter button (I have pulled the clutch lever), typically nothing happens. Then i have to twist the front wheel from side to side, until it suddenly engages.

It has been that way from the day i bought the bike, the dealer cannot fix it.

Any Ideas, greetings from the cold Denmark, Mogens. :bike:

It sounds like one of the wires from the starter switchgear is broken, with the insulation still intact. When the wire is moved around the two broken ends make enough of a conenction to complete the cicrcuit. A visual inspection for a stressed section of wire may not be enough. You may have to disconnect the two wires from the switch to the starter solenoid and do a resistance check individually (get some one else to wiggle the wires while you do this). Also, there could be a connector that is loose. Your dealer is very lazy. Good luck!

Chris B.

HELLO. Can anyone help me getting my ROSSO MANDELLO started. When I press the starter button (I have pulled the clutch lever), typically nothing happens. Then i have to twist the front wheel from side to side, until it suddenly engages.

It has been that way from the day i bought the bike, the dealer cannot fix it.

Any Ideas, greetings from the cold Denmark, Mogens.  :bike:

36392[/snapback]

Without moving the steering, wiggle the wires from the starter switch, then wiggle the wires below the ignition switch, try bypassing the clutch switch. Then remove the starter switch. turn on the ignition, and then use a jumper wire to start the bike from the switch. One of these should locate the short, then fix/replace the switch.

My Le Mans also suffered this problem. There are connector blocks around the steering head where the loose connection will be. You will have to remove the tank to get access to them. Plug and unplug them a few times, and the problem should disappear. If this doesn't cure the problem, then you might have to trace out the circuit from the wiring diagram to find exactly where the volts are stopping.

After you fix it, go and give your dealer a swift boot up the a**! :grin:

O.K. Antonio, I'll bite.  What sensors are these?  :huh2:

36414[/snapback]

Sorry man, I do not have the bike with me, because she is now not healthy. Otherwise I could make a pic to illustrate you the sensors I mean.

Take off the seat; you are now looking at the sub frame of your bike. On the right side, the break side of your bike, you will see a couple of little black boxes, 5 or 6.

I think they are now Bosch, is you will change one of these, try to buy some Siemens.

I think is the first one in the line of queue.

Good luck!

Then i have to twist the front wheel from side to side, until it suddenly engages.

Sounds like the clutch interlock connectors under the tank. Turning the handlebars forces some movement from throttle cables, front end wiring and so forth and that in turn, jiggles the connectors. This wouldn't be the first time for something like this either. The two connectors are some of the cheesy bullet connectors located under the left front side of the tank. They're depicted as #59 on the following schematic.

1999 V11 Sport schematic.

Just above and to the right of the sidestand relay. They're probably just loose but may also have a bit of surface corrosion on them. Just pull them apart a few times and re-insert them. If they feel at all loose, gently squeeze the female side with some pliers to tighten them up. Hopefully, that's all that your problem is. It's a cheap fix, but it does require removing the tank.

36439[/snapback]

can someone list what ieach relay is from front to back ...mine are not marked and i only own the owners manual which does not list them //// also another question!

when you turn the key on...your supposed to wait for the computer to fire up? atleast thats what I think is firing up? before pressing the starter button??? can damage occur if you press the stater button before the computer is up? thanks New 2000 v11 owner...Brian

I stole this from a post of "Docc's" earlier this year. Took a while to find too.

Here is a photo of the relays with the stick on letters. The turn signal flasher was relocated to this spot to make room for the junction block.

There is nothing intuitive about the wiring to the relays. A careful review of the wiring diagram is vital to understand how the current flows.

S - starter

L - lights

N - neutral ( side stand)

C - ECU

F - injectors/ pump/ coils

post_5_1083304540.jpg