starting problem

Guest rosso mandello

I stole this from a post of "Docc's" earlier this year. Took a while to find too.

Here is a photo of the relays with the stick on letters. The turn signal flasher was relocated to this spot to make room for the junction block.

There is nothing intuitive about the wiring to the relays. A careful review of the wiring diagram is vital to understand how the current flows.

S - starter

L - lights

N - neutral ( side stand)

C - ECU

F - injectors/ pump/ coils

36457[/snapback]

I keep seeing everyone blaming these relays for faults and I have to say that I experienced problems myself with the starter not engaging.If you wriggled the relay or gave it a tap everything would be fine for a while. Upon very close inspection the relays were fine but the wiring terminals in the blocks were not making good contact with the relay spade terminals, A little work to close them slightly and all has been well since. So look carfully everyone! rossoandy.

HELLO. Can anyone help me getting my ROSSO MANDELLO started. When I press the starter button (I have pulled the clutch lever), typically nothing happens. Then i have to twist the front wheel from side to side, until it suddenly engages.

It has been that way from the day i bought the bike, the dealer cannot fix it.

Any Ideas, greetings from the cold Denmark, Mogens.  :bike:

36392[/snapback]

As noted above, but I'll reiterate... this sounds like the classic "clutch switch bullet connector" problem that most of us have seen at one time or another.

The solution options(versus twisting the bars lock-to-lock every time :rolleyes: ) are:

1) Pull the tank, look on the left side near the head-tube, and you'll see the only "bullet" connectors in the harness(why oh why did they use those crappy connectors? :huh2: ) Pull them apart, clean, add dielectric grease, then firmly reconnect. Your problem should disappear, at least for a long while.

2) Cut the damned things off, and replace the connectors with something better. I replaced mine with some AMP Weathertite connectors.

3) Cut the damned things off, splice the wires together :P

4) Cut the damned things off, short the circuit(twist the wires together) so that the clutch safety switch is now irrelevant.

....those are your options =)

Do a search for "clutch switch" or similar, and you'll find some photos of the switch itself, and a few other threads on the subject.

Good luck!

al

One of the very best bits of advice that I've ever gotten is this;

90% of all electrical failures are caused by a poor connection.

How come I treat my Guzzi like shit (wheelies and burn outs etc.) and I never get any of the problems I see on this site? Maybe I should look closer at my bike someday!

36506[/snapback]

You could have a Japanese copy. Check to see if there is a badge somewhere that says 'Ibanez'.