Mike Rich Motorsports Hi-Comp Pistons

al_roethlisberger

Here are some photos of the Mike Rich "drop in" pistons I received the other day in advance of my engine case swap.

I can't offer much technical detail other than they are lightweight, with an "improved squish", and about 10.5:1 true CR in my case(due to some previous work), but normally about 10:1 true. They also have an anti-friction coating on the skirts.

If I recall, they were about $330 for the set.

For more info, contact Mike Rich, at Mike Rich Motorsports:

http://www.cookedgoose.org/sponsors/richmotorsports.htm

al

Hi Al,

I had a similar problem earlier on. Click on your login name in the upper left of the screen (logged in as jrt), then at the bottom of the next page, click on 'Edit Your Profile'. This takes you to your control panel, under Options you can "manage your attachements". You might be full up.

(Others may want to know where it is also- it took me awhile to find the attachement manager the first time).

J

....haha, yep that's it! :P

According to the tool, I have used ~10MB out of ~5MB allocated :lol:

I guess that's the curse of being a very early adopter, and vigorous photo poster :rolleyes:

I'll drop a note to Jaap. I don't think I can go back and delete two years worth of photos, plus many of them are quite "useful".

al

Hi Al,

Are those Mike Rich pistons coated on the skirts?

Thanks for posting the pictures!

J

And thanks Jaap for changing the file-storage size!  :pic:

36480[/snapback]

Yep, coated with the same anti friction coating used on many of the high-perf pistons from the Big Four. It's extremely durable, and as seems obvious "reduces friction" quite a bit apparently.

The pistons have some other advantages in weight, etc... but I forget off-hand.

If you give Mike a call, he's always more than happy to give one the full lo-down :luigi:

:D

Al,

Are these a drop in design (same diameter and weight of the stock pistons) or does the engine need to be rebalanced?

And does Mike have any infomation on any horsepower increases with just the piston change?

Thanks,

Mike

Al,

Are these a drop in design (same diameter and weight of the stock pistons) or does the engine need to be rebalanced?

And does Mike have any infomation on any horsepower increases with just the piston change?

Thanks,

Mike

36488[/snapback]

These are "drop-in" pistons that require no rebalance. They are a handful of grams lighter than the stock units(although I forget the comparative differences), and can be further lightened(which from what I understand would get into a "rebalance necessary" territory). But as delivered, they do not require a rebalance.

...although like all things though, if one can spring for a rebalance(~$300 from what I hear), it's worth it as the factory often does a "bare minimum" amount of effort in this area from what I understand. Although I didn't end up getting the Carillo rods(just too much $$), I may still spring for the balancing when I have the engine apart. ...I am taking it in Thurs or Fri BTW :bike:

WRT to HP increase, I dunno. Mike just got his dyno installed a little while ago, so other than feedback from customers, I don't know what sort of figures he can provide off-hand. But I don't expect anything Earth-shattering, just the heavy mid-range boost Mike predicts, and as reported by those that have installed the FBF variety.

I hate to keep saying this, but if one gives him a call, Mike can give you the technical answers much better than I can try to recollect from our discussions 6 or more months ago :P

If you'd rather email, his new email is: mrmsport1@aol.com

al

I checked the weight of the FBF pistons and although they look a little heftier than stock they are only about a gram heavier. I can't say that the FBF pistons give more horse power because I do not seem to have any more power than some one without high compression pistons (have tried a few drag races) but there sure is a lot more throttle response and everyone I have ridden with notices that (as well as me).

As the pictures show the FBF pistons do not have any anti-friction coating.

I wouldn't have a V11 without high compression but I would really like to see a direct comparison of the Mike Rich and FBF pistons. The Mike Rich pistons seem to be a better engineered set and lighter weight but the FBF (actually Wiseco) are a slightly higher compression ratio.

Shall we race, Al?

Hello Al,

I also purchased Mike's pistons, mainly because he kindly and promtly answered all my questions in a very convincing manner :) Something that the FBF people did not for some reason bother to do :(

Mike's pistons (manufactured by Ross pistons) should optimize the squish-band heigth without need to use non-standard cylinder bottom gaskets.

The manufacturing quality of these pistons is very high. I myself also like the shape of the piston skirts around the piston pin ends with those recesses minimizing the contact area/friction. The 1st and 2nd piston rings are very narrow further minimizing the friction and mazimizing the sealing.

Keep us posted when you get your bike on the road with these pistons. For me, it will take something like 6 months before the weather allows riding again.

br, JuhaV

Al,

Forgot to ask, are you going to hone those nicasil cylinders somehow before installing the pistons ? I think that nikasil plated cylinders ask for some kind of special procedure (ball honing ?) for this.

br, JuhaV