Mike Rich Motorsports Hi-Comp Pistons

al_roethlisberger

Al,

Forgot to ask, are you going to hone those nicasil cylinders somehow before installing the pistons ? I think that nikasil plated cylinders ask for some kind of special procedure (ball honing ?) for this.

br, JuhaV

36540[/snapback]

Yes, rehoning should ALWAYS be done when dropping in new pistons/rings if one wants(and you do :P ) the new rings to seat properly. Otherwise one will get blow by and oil seeping into the cylinders. Old rings should also not be reused, although I believe I've heard some have with the FBF pistons :huh2: For the small price of installing new rings, the benefit is worth it. IMHO, this is one of those areas where saving a few $$ doesn't pay off. Mike supplies new, special, rings with his pistons.

Mike recommends a boron ball hone, mounted on a power drill. Just a quick couple passes will do the trick. His pistons come with complete, and quite technical, details for the installation including ring gap and positioning. Also Mike is always(well during East Coast business hours) available by phone for real-time tech support, something I think is very valuable.

He recommends the standard break-in, but this in my case is more about the new cam than the rings per se.

I've dropped Mike an email asking for a "marketing" :P overview of the pistons to help answer some questions that have been asked. I think that's a better idea than relying on my fuzzy memory :rolleyes: .... I'd hate to accidentally misrepresent the product.

al

P.S.

Have you installed the adjustable fuel pressure regulator I sent you?

P.S. Have you installed the adjustable fuel pressure regulator I sent you?

36543[/snapback]

I will do that during the winter. I already measured the fuel pressure with the original regulator and found out that I have been running slightly underpressured. I am going to install a pressure gauge to the bike permanently to make the adjustments easier.

- JuhaV

• 2 weeks later...

Some Mike Rich "marketing info" on the pistons:

AS FOR MY PISTON KIT- 

THEY INCREASE ACTUAL MEASURED COMPRESSION FROM AVERAGE 9.4 / 9.6 TO 1 TO AN ACTUAL 10.25 TO 1. 

EXPECT 2 TO 3 HP ( SOME HAVE SAID MUCH MORE)   

THEY ARE DESIGNED TO HELP ELIMINATE DETONATION AND INCREASE PERFORMANCE WITH BETTER AND LESS OBSTRUCTED BURN.

THANKS AGAIN -----------MIKE RICH

Hi Al! I'm back again!

I've got a question that you (or perhaps someone else on the board) can answer. But first, let me tell you that there's *finally* been some progress on the bike! I've got new Carillo rods, and the balancing has been finished. There's still much to be done, but hey... this is something!

Now, the question: I know that the MR pistons are designed to be drop-in, but considering the fact that I've already had balancing work done (with stock pistons), would switching to the MR pistons now cause problems? Or, would I be better off keeping the stock pistons and decking the heads to boost compression, which was my original plan?

Just curious... :blush:

__Jason

Guest MotoMessiah
Hi Al! I'm back again!

I've got a question that you (or perhaps someone else on the board) can answer. But first, let me tell you that there's *finally* been some progress on the bike! I've got new Carillo rods, and the balancing has been finished. There's still much to be done, but hey... this is something!

Now, the question: I know that the MR pistons are designed to be drop-in, but considering the fact that I've already had balancing work done (with stock pistons), would switching to the MR pistons now cause problems? Or, would I be better off keeping the stock pistons and decking the heads to boost compression, which was my original plan?

Just curious...  :blush:

__Jason

37209[/snapback]

If the MR pistons aren't balanced I would think it would affect the whole assembly's balance (crank, rods and pistons). :luigi:

Well, first..... welcome back Jason :sun:

....where the heck have you been, and my goodness what took so long to get this far on the bike :huh:

Anyway, WRT the pistons... well, I'd just give Mike a call and ask him. But my thoughts are that since his pistons are "drop in", they should work fine with your newly balanced crank since their weight will essentially be the same as your stock units. However, it will be less than optimal as the stock pistons vary quite a bit from spec, and now the crank, etc ... is now balanced to those weights, out of spec or not.

al

Welcome back Jason . You can balance the pistons yourself. Get out your digital dope selling scales & weigh your pistons & find the heaviest one & take youir drill press & drill dimples in the small end boss til its weighs the same as the lightest piston . That's how us Rednecks do it :thumbsup:

37217[/snapback]

Hey Maurice, sorry I wasn't clear- I was thinking balanced with respect to the shaft counterweights. But yes, of course you could balance the individual pistons, but I bet Mike Rich already did that.

And dude, you would most definitely not want to weigh any dope out on the scales in my lab. Not unless you want some serious unpleasantness (if that's a word).

cheers,

Jason

And dude, you would most definitely not want to weigh any dope out on the scales in my lab.  Not unless you want some serious unpleasantness (if that's a word).

cheers,

Jason

37270[/snapback]

I hear you :D It's a shame that we don't have more funding, so Iowa State can buy more accurate scales :ninja: