Removing front brake discs

Admin Jaap

Okay dudettes,

Quick question: how in the world can I loosen the 6 brake disc bolts that go into the wheel? The bolts are those lame flat rounded allen bolts. :angry:

One suggestion from my brother: weld a nut on the allen bolt head. Because of the heat the loctite (probably applied generously by Luigi :luigi: ) will dissolve and you can loosen the bolt easily.

Other options?

I don't know about welding, but the bolts do need some heat to melt the loctite. Could you use a torch or a heavy duty soldering iron to warm them up? What about using an impact driver to loosen the bolts? :huh2:

J

Jaap,

Heating the heads is the only way. When they are heated enough, the bolds come easy. I used a welding torch a minute pro bold. To avoid heating the gold paint on the disks, I used a piece of aluminium with a 8mm hole in it, over the head, so the flame wouldn't heat the disk. Heat the bold until it glows.

the tools:

Lasset.JPG

1 minute with a hot air gun,

and a good quality (= non soft metal) insex bit

does the trick.

I used a cheap bit at first and had to cut slots with the dremel

to get a couple of destroyed bolts loose.

I used a heat gun aimed at the "underside" of the diks. About four minutes heating up the hub and the disk together worked fine for 11 out of 12 bolts. Naturally, it's always the last one that has to be drilled out...