v11 rear shock removal

scre103

i,m having the rear shock removed today for replacement. the wrench said he would remove it from the top and let some air out of the rear tire to help with room. i thought the whole rear wheel had to be removed to get the shock out. which way is the correct way of removing the rear uni shock and how difficult is removal and how long should it take. thanx scre

The rear wheel/tire doesn't have to be removed.

All you have to do is relieve/minimize the compression on the shock to get it out, and be able to move the rear swingarm up/down a bit when wiggling the shock out of there.

You'll have to remove your airbox to get to the top bolts(if I recall), but just loosen that up once tension is relieved from the shock, and do the same with the long bolt holding the bottom eye.... and along with freeing the nitrogen reservior... it will come out with some judicious swearing and contortion :D

I found it easiest to relieve the rear wheel suspension by simply using the factory shop stand, or lifting the back under the sump(be careful here).

al

All you have to do is relieve/minimize the compression on the shock to get it out, and be able to move the rear swingarm up/down a bit when wiggling the shock out of there.

You'll have to remove your airbox to get to the top bolts(if I recall), but just loosen that up once tension is relieved from the shock, and do the same with the long bolt holding the bottom eye.... and along with freeing the nitrogen reservior... it will come out with some judicious swearing and contortion  :D

I found it easiest to relieve the rear wheel suspension by simply using the factory shop stand, or lifting the back under the sump(be careful here).

al

37131[/snapback]

You'll have to remove your airbox to get to the top bolts(if I recall), but just loosen that up once tension is relieved from the shock, and do the same with the long bolt holding the bottom eye.... and along with freeing the nitrogen reservior... it will come out with some judicious swearing and contortion  :D

al

37131[/snapback]

thanks al, my mechanic got it in one hour with no problems. thanx scre