Why do footpegs fold up?

Guest RPHETTEPLACE

Guest RPHETTEPLACE

So I just did the Buell footpeg retrofit and was disappointed with how much wider they seem to be than stock. So I was thinking about having something else machined that would allow them to be lower, but no wider. I guess it got me thinking, and admittedly I'm very motorcycle ignorant, why do the pegs fold-up??????? Does it have to do with being impalled on them if you put the bike down???

they fold so that when you touch them down when cornering, they wont impale themselves in the ground and high side you................

Many people wish this was true! Unfortunately that is for bikes with pegs low enough to actually touch down. On the V11 the sidestand on the left and the exhaust on the right will touch down long before the pegs. All those superbikes and MotoGP bikes all have solid mounted footpegs. I added solid mounted pegs (actually complete pegs and gearchange/brake kit) to my bike. One reason is they are adjustable and the bike shifts much, much better but a main reason is that if my bike has a tip over accident or a low speed low side the footpegs, cylider guards and bar ends will take most of the load and damage.

As for why they have folding pegs? I really don't know. Perhaps it is just what most people expect and accept.

Guest RPHETTEPLACE
Many people wish this was true! Unfortunately that is for bikes with pegs low enough to actually touch down. On the V11 the sidestand on the left and the exhaust on the right will touch down long before the pegs. All those superbikes and MotoGP bikes all have solid mounted footpegs. I added solid mounted pegs (actually complete pegs and gearchange/brake kit) to my bike. One reason is they are adjustable and the bike shifts much, much better but a main reason is that if my bike has a tip over accident or a low speed low side the footpegs, cylider guards and bar ends will take most of the load and damage.

As for why they have folding pegs? I really don't know. Perhaps it is just what most people expect and accept.

37370[/snapback]

helicopter I'd be curious to see a picture of what you have on your bike, where you got them, and how much adjustability they gave you.

I'll get you a picture if you like. They are the factory pegs and are quite expensive (I cannot remember the price offhand).

Here is the link for the MGNA site.

Factory Footpegs

They are moderately adjustable in a circular pattern. They can go up, back, down or forward and the toe piece is also adjustable in a similar manner. What I like most besides the safety factor is that since installing them over a year ago the bike shifts much smoother and i rarely ever find any false neutrals. before installing them I found neutral all too often - usually going into 4th

Guest RPHETTEPLACE
I'll get you a picture if you like. They are the factory pegs and are quite expensive (I cannot remember the price offhand).

Here is the link for the MGNA site.

Factory Footpegs

They are moderately adjustable in a circular pattern. They can go up, back, down or forward and the toe piece is also adjustable in a similar manner. What I like most besides the safety factor is that since installing them over a year ago the bike shifts much smoother and i rarely ever find any false neutrals. before installing them I found neutral all too often - usually going into 4th

37380[/snapback]

$564 :homer:

Guest rrbasso

I do not have a deffenut reason whey pegs fold up, but working in a bike shop for a good part of my life I can say it really hurts when your pussing a bike and the back of your leg hits a non folding peg !! :homer: