more funnin' around

jrt

After putting on the set of Buell footpegs I got from Fonzarelli, I found that the shift and brake lever were way too far forward to reach safely. So, over the Christmas holiday I've been a busy elf in the shop. Here's the brake lever I've made- compare to the original one. The lever is a bit shorter and down more- much easier to 'cover' with my foot.

I still need to finish and polish it- it's pretty rough, but fits up ok. I used a brass bushing against steel drill rod instead of the ridiculous aluminum stock piece.

Oh, and I busted the original brake lever, so you can see the fix.

The shifter is, well, mostly done, but not as attractive. That compound curve is a pain in the butt.

J

brake.jpg

Oh, and I busted the original brake lever, so you can see the fix. The shifter is, well, mostly done, but not as attractive.  That compound curve is a pain in the butt.

Not bad jrt... but for alot less headache, you should've just bought one of these; http://www.mphcycles.com/BilletPedalBrake.html - I have one in hand (very nice piece, BTW) that I'm putting on my '02 Le Mans project (it too was broken when I got it, and they are *very* fragile, agreed).

For any of you modern Cal guys, I'm having these custom machined by pre-order only; http://www.guzzitech.com/store/CNCRearsets.html

ToddGuzziTech.com

I believe Jason made his own because he wanted it to be shorter, not just because his original was broken.

But the MPH one does look nice.

It would be nice if you could adjust the length on it a notch or two.

Yes, nice and the MPH price is good too. But it's as David says- I wanted it to be shorter. Plus, I like learning how to work new tools and techniques. I may not be a great machinist, but I'm enthusiastic.

That can be a problem sometimes....

J

I believe Jason made his own because he wanted it to be shorter, not just because his original was broken.

But the MPH one does look nice.

It would be nice if you could adjust the length on it a notch or two.

The stub for the rubber is screwed to the main part. You could move it relatively easily by drilling a new hole. Offhand, I can't remember whether it threads into the main piece or secured by a screw from the backside.

Spent some time this afternoon fitting the Guzzi argal footpeg kit to the bike. It should have been fairly easy except that the bush on the gearchange was a really bad fit and so tight that the action was stiff. I ended up taking everything apart to check with the rear brake parts which fitted perfectly. :( The bush on each side is a different size so its impossible to mix them up. Ended up having to carefully file down the bush on the gearchange side and it seems to work fine now, although it was too late to take a run out once I finally got finished ! Looking forward to giving it a try out tomorrow :race: It certainly looks a lot nicer than the stock pegs but given the price you would think it would fit right out of the box :moon:

I installed the same kit on my V11 and the fit was very good. I had a few problems getting the brake pedal adjusted but once all was in place it works very well. I really noticed an improvement in shifting with them installed and I hope that in the event of a tip-over the solid pegs, engine guards and handlebar ends will take the brunt of the shock and minimize the damage. I don't want folding foot pegs on any of my bikes again (excepting my dirt bike).

I installed the same kit on my V11 and the fit was very good. I had a few problems getting the brake pedal adjusted but once all was in place it works very well. I really noticed an improvement in shifting with them installed and I hope that in the event of a tip-over the solid pegs, engine guards and handlebar ends will take the brunt of the shock and minimize the damage. I don't want folding foot pegs on any of my bikes again (excepting my dirt bike).

40113[/snapback]

There was another thread about why footpegs fold up, and one benefit I did realise right away is that it seems a lot easier to manouver the bike when the pegs fold back slightly as you can reach your leg a bit further back and get more leverage, however all in all I think its probably better to have the added protection for the bike in the event of a spill... Looking forward to trying it out tomorrow, but from playing in the garage the gearchange did seem more positive, which makes sense as the linkage is much more direct with the upgrade kit - makes you wonder why they didnt do it that way to start with, even with the stock parts ?

Rgds,

Ken

I havent been terribly happy with the shifting on my bike (although my experience level is likely part of the problem). But it does sound like the Argal footpegs might be a good addition for a more possitive system. Where do I find them? Im sure Ive seen them on the net before but dont recall the source (looked sharp!)

The shifting seems to be real sensitive to dirt/crap in the joints or overtightening the rocker. My bike shifted...ok, and I traded for a while with Bruce while visiting him. His bike shifts great- snick, snick, snick into gear. He advised me to clean out the joints, which I did when I got home- dissassmebled all the joints, took out the spindle, cleaned everything and lubed it up. Now it shifts- snick, snick, snick into gear. What a difference.

J

There was another thread about why footpegs fold up, and one benefit I did realise right away is that it seems a lot easier to manouver the bike when the pegs fold back slightly as you can reach your leg a bit further back and get more leverage, however all in all I think its probably better to have the added protection for the bike in the event of a spill...

Ken

40120[/snapback]

Actually, solid pegs have some drawbacks: they'll catch on pavement and cause a bike to tumble [making repairs more extensive] and they'll catch on body parts and tear'em up.

Folding pegs are a huge improvement over non-folders, trust me!

:grin:

Actually, solid pegs have some drawbacks: they'll catch on pavement and cause a bike to tumble [making repairs more extensive] and they'll catch on body parts and tear'em up.

Folding pegs are a huge improvement over non-folders, trust me!

:grin:

40202[/snapback]

I tell you what! You show me that you can lean your bike over far enough to drag folding footpegs and I'll put them back on my bike. I presume you will try and convince all the road racers of this as well? They all swear by solid pegs (and they do tend to lean their bikes over a fair ways).