ouch ouch ouch

beauchemin

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's it. I'm ordering a roadcrafter suit ASAP.

40500[/snapback]

Beat you to it - ordered one today!

I also ordered a set of Pirelli Diablos. I can't say that the BT020s are necessarily at fault, but since new I've never had much confidence in the front end. New tires certainly won't hurt.

The other interesting thing is that Staintune will sell single mufflers.

Hey helicopterjim - are you serious?

Hi Chris,

I've always admired Aerostitch from afar. Just couldn't get my head around the price though. Are you going for any special colors, or options. How are you having it brought up?

I've always admired the BMW riding wear as well, but their prices are way out of wack!

Ciao, Steve G.

Hi Chris,

I've always admired Aerostitch from afar. Just couldn't get my head around the price though. Are you going for any special colors, or options. How are you having it brought up?

I've always admired the BMW riding wear as well, but their prices are way out of wack!

Ciao, Steve G.

40551[/snapback]

Steve,

I've had two Darien jackets (my current one needs the right arm replaced from this get-off, but that's easily repairable at the factory) and I've been very happy with them. My arm and shoulder didn't even have a bruise, so I like the Aerostitch crash safety.

I'm going to replace it with a Roadcrafter for two reasons. Number one reason - I can't ignore or forget the pants when I go for a ride. I've given this reason some serious thought. Secondly, it's easy and quick to don and doff. You wear your regular clothes underneath, so if you are riding in hot weather you simply take it all off at your rest stop.

Aerostitch gear isn't cheap, but I think worth the money. I'm going hi-viz with coffee ballistic patches.

roadcrafter.jpg

Aerostitch gear isn't cheap, but I think worth the money.  I'm going hi-viz with coffee ballistic patches.

40569[/snapback]

A fine choice. I have hi-viz top with black pants, that I can zip off. I find in practice that I rarely remove the pants from the jacket.

My favorite quote about hi-viz-

'picks up shit faster than a baby's diaper'

and it's true.

But it is the most un-natural, visible color available even when it's dirty....which is always.

On the down-side, the 'stich suits are rather warm. I find mine is uncomfortable above about 85 °F (29 °C) even if moving. They work well in the colder, northern climates (esp. the west coast), but It would be torture down south except in winter.

J

I was talking to a supplier at the Seattle show and he summed it up well. If you go cheap with textile jackets, like Joe Rocket [for example], it will do you well in a fall, but will basically disassemble itself into non-repair. Get a high quality textile garment [Aerostitch, BMW, Motoport etc] and it will take at least two get-offs before you need to repair the garment, and they can be repaired. A perfect example was a buddy of mine who tucked the front end of his 78 900SS Ducati [god nooooo]. His high visibility Joe Rocket did it's job well, not a scratch or burn, but the thing was done, many stitches coming apart, much like modern cars crumple zones.

A good friend of mine has a Darien and pants, with liner, and it did him well when he took his Norton to Prudhoe Bay Alaska last yr, which involved at least 2 crashes, one which broke his leg. He still wears the same 'stitch' everywhere. He finds that after 3 yrs of ownership, it just now is starting to loosen up, and indication to me anyways that the things are built tough.

I check regularly for specials on their site, but rarely do they come up available in my size. I've got 5 jackets right now, 3 riding pants, 7 pair of gloves, 3 types of boots, and 4 helmets. You can't have too many bikes or types of riding gear!

Ciao, Steve G.

I've always admired the Aerostich ( and the roadmaster suits), but honestly couldn't get over how super ugly they looked to me. On trips, I always put leather pants on in the morning with the rest of the gear but admit that on some small around-town jaunts that I stay with jeans. You're right, it's easier to put on a good jacket, gloves, helmet etc for every ride and easily ignore the pants.

I guess an Aerostich solves this..........um.......yeah..........but you look like such a DORK.

I know, i know.....that's a great rationalization as you're admiring your knee scabs, as Chris is now............

Safe is great, gotta go safe. But do I really need to be sweating, uncomfortable and looking like a rolling, 500 pound neon sign from the red light district?? Phooey.

Dan

Dan, Dan, Dan....

It's more like the Michelin man and an exotic dancer had an out-of-wedlock, red-headed child.

Seriously- if they look dorky, so be it. I'm comfortable with that.

And does this suit make my butt look fat? I could swore I only looked 350 lbs....

stich.jpg

... a buddy of mine who tucked the front end of his 78 900SS Ducati [god nooooo]. ..............he took his Norton to Prudhoe Bay Alaska last yr, which involved at least 2 crashes, one which broke his leg

Steve.. can you please tell your friends to stop smashing up all the good vintage bikes? Geez.. give them some Honda Nighthawks and save the nice bikes for the rest of us..

Thanks in advance

Tim

You're right, it's easier to put on a good jacket, gloves, helmet etc for every ride and easily ignore the pants.

I guess an Aerostich solves this..........um.......yeah..........but you look like such a DORK.

I know, i know.....that's a great rationalization as you're admiring your knee scabs, as Chris is now............

40707[/snapback]

Hi Dan - I agree that it is dorky. I usually wear my black leather pants with hi-viz Darien jacket - and that looks a little less dorky than the full hi-viz of a 1-piece Roadcrafter. Living in the northwest, rain is a regular occurence, so the leather pants are a pain except for during height of summer. For me it makes sense to have the all-weather option for most of the year. Yeah, I can have rain pants, but I hate stopping to put on raingear - the rain stops right after you get going again!

I'm starting to think that the 2-piece Roadcrafter, like JRT has, is the way to go - that way I can get black pants with hi-viz top. That setup looks great (at least once you get past the initial "yewww" of the 1-piece hi-viz). JRT - would you choose that option again?

I also find it appealing that I can strip off the suit in 10 seconds - great for roadside stops during the summer. Not so easy with leather pants, given that I wear skivvies only underneath.