Damn, now I have TOO MUCH power!

Enzo

I had to ride today. Had to. 35 degrees f. and damp roads. I wanted to do some high revving burns in first and second with heavy engine breaking - in order to 'seat' my new pistons. I think they are definitely seated now! Good lord. Maybe its the way my Enzo Cobras allow everything to really breath, but I'm getting some awesome power. Frightening really. I did a roll on in first gear from about ten mph, going perfectly straight, and the back end swung out like I hit oil. Saved it, though, on pure instinct. I found I also couldn't open the throttle hard in a SECOND GEAR roll-on - going straight!. I could feel the back end coming out so I had to back off. And I am running sticky Dunlop 208s.

It's sort of exciting because I had good power before, but now it is actually scaring me. Now I have to think of throttle control in all situations because I can now have a 'power accident.'

But the sound! Oh, it is so sweet. Deeper and more mellow. Sort of like a Ducati 999 on steroids.

Moto GP on a Guzzi y'all!

FBF 11:1 pistons. Made by Weisco. A nice set. Light weight. I notice a smoother engine now. Less vibration too. It's like a different bike. I didn't even bother to hone the cylinders. Just dropped em in and ran.

c'mon it's not that much faster :) i've been running the same pistons for about 4-5months and Jim longer :)... I still find that I can open it all the way up in first or second, the bikes a big pusycat :)

i'm jealous youre out riding though , we've had torrential rain all week down in SoCal

My two-into-one header really changed the character of the bike. If I open it up in first either the front wheel comes off the ground or, if it is damp, I completely lose the back end. If I drive hard into second gear, the front end comes up again. Like I say, today I was losing the back end in second gear on a wet surface in a straight line. There is nothing about my bike that is 'pussycat.' It doesn't sound very much like a kitty either. I think a lot of Lemans riders would be quite surprised by it. The FBF pistons gave it a smoother ride, a deeper, mellower sound, and a noticeable increase in mid-range power. Wasn't that your experience?

I don't know about squish - someone will have to key me in on how this could affect vibrations. I think it is because the new piston set is better balanced and lighter. It has taken some harsh vibes out of the bike.

A higher compression engine is more prone to pre-detonation.

A combution chamber with well designed squish will maximize efficiency by keeping the compression ratio up, but being well designed it will also resist pre-detonation.... and I guess result in a smoother engine??????

You can't just toss lighter pistons into a bike and expect vibrations to decrease. They have to be balanced against the crankshaft counterweights.

So, has anyone weighed the fbf slugs?

J

Just to add confusion, the following is from the Moto-Euro Magazine article on the V11S that they sent to FBF.

"Moving down, a set of high-domed pistons, each 28 grams lighter than the factory slugs, drop into the stock 92mm bore. Raising compression from 9.5:1 to 11:1, these forged parts are supplied with rings and lighter/stronger wrist pins. Beautiful pieces they are, too, wrought after extensive research by Eraldo so they would be lighter and require no re-balancing of the crankshaft assembly."

Don't get me wrong the bike pulls pretty well for an overweight rolling artpiece with only 90 rwhp but it's not delivering Tuono or RSVR front lifting power by any stretch of the imagination :)

I used to notice the back end sliding a bit with the stock tires but since i switched to the Micehelin Pilot Spor's i havent had that issue