Rennsport 2 into 1 into 2 exhausts

callison

Guest Steve_W

AAAIIIIIEEEEEE!!!!

Oh, sorry. Just having flashbacks...

I bought a set of Mikuni flat-slide carbs for my '85 LeMans from Rennsport a bunch of years ago. They came jetted "safely rich" according to Rennsport's owner/sole employee, whose name I've fortunately committed to the mental bit bucket years ago. No kidding, they were rich; the thing would idle nicely without the choke within a couple of seconds after starting it cold. Gas mileage dropped from high 40s (miles per U.S. gallon) to mid-30s. I knew enough to change the main jets but nothing more, which didn't help, and got no further help from Rennsport. Eventually I managed to make the LeMans not run, which is no small feat apparently.

I sold the LeMans for a song, to my great sorrow. A non-running motorcycle is less than useless; it not only didn't run but I had to look at it in the garage, which added to the torture. I loved that LeMans too, before I screwed it up. It just had a few idiosyncracies, all of which centered on those damned Dell'Orto carburetors. Ah hates carburetors! Well, not all carburetors, just ones I can't make work, and those 40mm Dell'Ortos drove me crazy.

There, I've said it. Thanks for letting me vent.

Someday I'll have another Guzzi...

Edit: The Mikunis didn't even solve the problem I was trying to fix, which was the heavy throttle spring/half-turn throttle combination. I never understood why the throttle springs had to be so heavy and yet it took 180-degrees to go from closed to full-open throttle. My Japanese bikes, every one of them, had an easier throttle pull AND a quarter-turn throttle. If Honda, Kawasaki, and Yamaha could do it, why the hell couldn't Moto Guzzi/Dell'Orto? Grumble, grumble... Anyway, the Mikunis traded the heavy throttle springs for a vacuum sticking problem, whereby the slides wouldn't open under trailing throttle without a gorilla grip and a lot of effort. A different problem, but just as annoying.

Sorry, venting again...

I've heard that the Keihin FCRs solve these all problems, but at a cost: USD 1500 for a kit from Sudco for the carb Sport 1100. Oh well...

Very nice design for power's sake.

What I don't like is what it'll do to oil changes and luggage space.

What I need is a QuatD like system that dynos better than stock across the board.

Enzo is on to something with the Cobra system that I suspect is LOUD and may get in the way of oil changes and lower curb hopping clearance.

The guy from rennsport ( can't remember his name either)has lived some years in the netherlands. In that time I had an exaust made for the daytona. I went to misano motors, where also rennsport was, because they had a dynoyet setup. The first thing they said was that I copied there exaust, but mine wasn't going to work. That was proved wrong on the dynoyet:-) The rennsport pipes were known for cracking, thin pipe that didn't resist vibration. The same layout can be had from deas motec.

He disapeard when he owed a lot of people money, and we never heard from him again.

the mikuni's:

Mikuniguzzi.jpg

I came awful close to buying a bunch of stuff from 'Rennsport' when he was in Ojai, CA. I'm glad I didn't. I still have an old price list on my computer if anyone wants a copy (no idea why you would....I just can't throw anything away).

Anyhoo, Steve, the fix to the throttle pull was just to cut the springs in half, stretch them out a bit, and you're good to go. You probably didn't want to hear that.....

I really like Dell Orto carbs, but they're the only ones I have ever used...except for Amal and maybe that explains why I like Dell Oroto's.

Jason

Guest Steve_W
Anyhoo, Steve, the fix to the throttle pull was just to cut the springs in half, stretch them out a bit, and you're good to go.  You probably didn't want to hear that.....

Yes, so I found out. I put the bike in the MGNOC newsletter classifieds and sold it pretty quickly. A month later, the then-tech director began a new series on setting up your Moto Guzzi properly. The bike he used as an example was, naturally, a LeMans IV. <_< Great. Now you tell me.