Electronic problem

Guest cfc

Long story short...... The bike shut off while riding. I pulled the seat and started looking for anything electrical (I had lost all electrical perifs. ie tach., horn, lights, just before shut down). Jiggled what I understood (by looking at wiring chart)to be the relay and /or sensor cluster opposite the fuse box and, I was back on the road after a little duct tape etc.. to put a little preassure on the part to make contact. Work now but ........

Anyone ever have this problem and was one of those guesses correct as to what that cluster is? Replace? Repaire? Is there a more reliable brand etc.? My electronics experience is limited to, red is positive, black is negative etc.....

cfc

Guest dkgross

relays are a usual suspect.

also, on mine, I had an internal short in the temp sensor on the cylinder head. Kept telling the ECU that it was 3 degrees centegrade out and flooded the engine, and she died.

just a thought.

CFC

The cluster opposite the fuse panel is the relay panel.. and there are 5 relays

There have been many many threads on the relays (stock Siemans) being flakey and replaced by better Bosch or GEI (?)..

If EVERYTHING went dead on your bike I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that a single relay failed. I would assume a major circuit break... like maybe a loose ground?

But heck, the replacement relays are cheap.. might as well swap 'em out

Cheers, Tim

Thanks for the info. Might as well switch the relays out for a better make. Mine is an '01. My freind has an '03(?) Scura, are those relays a different make?

cfc

ok, I'll pile on here too! A couple of times recently, after riding for a while and then stopping, upon re-starting, I'll get ignition lights, headlight, etc., but when I hit the starter-- nothing happens. Both times I waited a while- not knowing what else to do! Hit the starter again and had my power back. Any ideas there?

Where do I get those relays to replace my oem relays?

also-- we talked before about how my tach jiggles around while running. The tach needle should not be bouncing all over the place. Where is the connection I should explore for that fix?

A couple of times recently, after riding for a while and then stopping, upon re-starting, I'll get ignition lights, headlight, etc., but when I hit the starter-- nothing happens. Both times I waited a while- not knowing what else to do! Hit the starter again and had my power back. Any ideas there?

Tom.. I had exactly the same problem about a week ago. All the lights came on but when I hit the starter button I just got a click. The battery and solenoid were ok.. I'd leave it alone for a day or two, and then it would start. Then it wouldn't!! Very weird. I swapped the relays around and it's started every time since... So in my case (and possibly yours) it may be prudent to just swap the relays for the Bosch.

Cheers, Tim

Tom.. I had exactly the same problem about a week ago.  All the lights came on but when I hit the starter button I just got a click.  The battery and solenoid were ok..  I'd leave it alone for a day or two, and then it would start.  Then it wouldn't!!  Very weird.  I swapped the relays around and it's started every time since...  So in my case (and possibly yours) it may be prudent to just swap the relays for the Bosch.

Cheers, Tim

42337[/snapback]

just make sure that if you swap the existing relays around you don't do what I did when my bike suddenly stopped on the way to the Scottish Guzzi rally last year.

The actual problem was a rare PC111 failure (note I said rare, so don't panic everyone)

but to cut a long stroy short at the time I first thougth relays so I swapped relays around, I also wiggled wires, swore at it, looked at it for a while, played Black Sabbath music, etc but eventually unplugged the PC111 and hey presto I was on my way again...until a while later the bike had a very flat battery...bugger...it turns out I'd managed to put a 4 pin relay in the place where a 5 pin was supposed to go (they fit in each others slots nicely) and stopped it charging.. :homer:

just a cautionary tale for anybody merrily swapping relays on the side of a busy motorway.

good luck

Mal :helmet:

Alright. Bosch it is then..... Maybe this is all caused by moisture in the air getting in there! I never experienced this from April until now-- 8,000 miles later.

Question on those relays-- with the Bosch part number listed on Tx's link, do I worry about 4 or 5 pin????

thanks

Everything works but the starter? Pull the tank and bypass the clutch interlock switch or make sure that it operates correctly. This is frequently the problem with that specific set of circumstances. When all kinds of things don't seem to work properly, check the relays. I've known some indivicduals to remove the OEM relays and "check" them with a hammer :rasta:

Everything works but the starter?

42648[/snapback]

He "had lost all electrical perifs. ie tach., horn, lights, just before shut down"

which probably indicates the specific relay failure that I discussed here:

http://www.guzzitech.com/RelayFailures-David_L.html

So he should replace the front relay with the more heavy duty relay from Dan P.

Wiring the headlight through a separate relay is also a good idea.