click noise

Guest davidb

I have been hearing a single "tick" noise upon acceleration, never under decceleration. Just one click (or tick) every time I twist the throttle. Dealer rode it and said not to worry, It is just the cush drive slop and it is normal. Please chime in with your opinions. Thanks

It has to be rather loud for you to hear it while driving. Can you put it up on the centerstand, put it in gear and rotate the tire to reproduce it?

I don't like to hear clicks on these bikes- particularly metallic sounding clicks. Makes me start to wonder about the condition of the ujoints and the cush drive. Have you taken the rear wheel apart and greased the cush drive?

J

He had me confused because I remembered the cush drive is rubber and in the rear wheel. He sais it was metal and in the transmission, but I can't find it in my manual. I did find the splines on the coupling disc to bevel gear completely dry when I put new tires on. I think the noise is coming from the timing chain tensioner or the clutch. The dealer had removed the engine twice to fix a leaky rear main seal. It is hard for me to tell exactly because my hearing is 48 years old.

OK I found it. it is part #04 21 89 00 Item 15 in the parts diagram. It is called a hose.... Hose???? some one needs to get a better translator.

Brian... No ... only at acceleration and when the bike starts moving forward from a stop. It is not a loose part, valve noise. brake pad click etc. It is internal. I believe if what he says is true, then the spring washer assembly is bad and they don't want to fix it. item # 18 in parts manual drawing C13.

not a header leak. I put in a gasket I made since the dealer forgot to put the left one in when they removed the engine twice. And it only clicks Once on acceleration. not the constant ticking under load from a exhaust leak. By the way, I raised the bike up and found the torsion bar behind the pork chop loose. I might have to machine a new bushing at work.(during lunch time) There is a possibility the this is causing drive shaft rotation and making the noise. I will go ride it in a hour.

found the torsion bar behind the pork chop loose.

42712[/snapback]

Good call. That could do it.

I think Rich Maund wrote up something about greasing the cush drive around a year ago. And you're right- it's rubber and in the rear wheel. On the output shaft of the transmission, there is a heavy spring loaded gizmo that (I think) acts as a cushion for heavy load conditions. I could well be wrong on that last one though.

BTW, don't be surprised by the amount of free play in the drive chain. It seems to be a lot even compared to older Guzzis.

J

I just got back from spanking the roads with the guzzi and the click noise is gone. I tightened the bolt holding the torsion bar on but I think I had better fab up a shoulder bushing cause the factory one has too much slop ( about .125 to .200) Thanks for the imput. I should of posted this thread before I rode 200 mile round trip to the dealer in the bay area. The traffic was the shits and the road is straight.

I just got back from spanking the roads with the guzzi and the click noise is gone. I tightened the bolt holding the torsion bar on but I think I had better fab up a shoulder bushing cause the factory one has too much slop ( about .125 to .200) Thanks for the imput. I should of posted this thread  before I rode 200 mile round trip to the dealer in the bay area. The traffic was the shits and the road is straight.

42729[/snapback]

David,

Could you take a picture of the torsion bar that has the slop and post it? I think many of use would like to know about this.

Thanks,

Mike