air intake mods

Guest cfc

I know it's been well discussed but has anyone had a definatively possitive chage in performance from after maket/ custom air boxes/filters etc. and .... is there such a thing as a "parts manual" for v11.

cheers

cfc

I know it's been well discussed but has anyone had a definatively possitive chage in performance from after maket/ custom air boxes/filters etc. and .... is there such a thing as a "parts manual" for v11.

cheers

cfc

43408[/snapback]

No, and yes. I don't recall seeing any dyno tests of bikes, before and after, where the only airbox was replaced or modified (no exhaust changes).

A parts manual and a workshop manual are available on yahoo (you have to join- it's free):

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/v11manuals/files/

download 'tree.gif' and construct the appropriate directories on your computer- the files are all in the 'V11root' folder.

Jason

That's a good question(about the airbox mod -> performance) .... the problem is that most folks don't have the time or $$ to get a dyno run before/after, and often combine multiple modifications at a time such that it is also hard to nail down where gains/losses are made.

But that being said, we've said before that if someone does have a stock bike, dyno, and had the time and $$ to do before/after testing to document changes as they occurr, and the results.... that would be incredibly valuable.

But given the multiple products in each niche out there, it would again prove costly in time and $$, and probably keep one "test bench" bike down for a long time.

However, I think Guzzitech has a few dyno runs that seem to show some improvement with intake/exhaust changes, although they may not be unique to just the airbox modification.

al

However, I think Guzzitech has a few dyno runs that seem to show some improvement with intake/exhaust changes, although they may not be unique to just the airbox modification.

al

43441[/snapback]

I recall Todd at Guzzitech said that he did some runs to see what works best, comparing Mistrals with stock headers, and stock box vs. lidless.

If I recall correctly he said going to the Mistrals was good for about 5HP, going to a lidless airbox was also good for about 5HP, and it did not matter if the filter element was OE paper or K&N.(when new)

He may have even said going lidless gave more than adding Mistrals....I wish I could remember. :blink:

I suspect the changes were maximum changes and not changes throughout the powerband.

I don't remember him mentioning having tested pods.

Todd if you are reading, please chime in. I don't want to misquote you :blush:

Generic answer:

The first thing I do with any vehicle is replace the air filter for a K&N or similar hi flow filter. If the intake box is restrictive, I either go with a cold air kit (car/truck) or on my bikes, with a more open box. On the goose, I have pods.

With every vehicle I have noticed an immediate improvement. With only the intake mod, this improvement seems limited to driveability and throttle response (read "feel") rather than performance. From the dyno data I have seen on various vehicles, the performance increase is nominal. with only this change.

Now let's talk about exhaust mods. Again, on every vehicle I have ever owned my second change is to exhaust ... either mufflers, or to headers/x over, or both. I have found consistently that this works with the intake mods to give a measurable increase in performance. Amount varies with vehicles and depends entirely on how well the stock system worked to begin with. Available dyno data supports this, but I have never measured. I can feel the differnce so do not feel the need to pay for dyno time.

There are a variety of mods out there, but in my opinion the most bang for the buck comes from doing intake and exhaust mods together. Either change, alone, does not seem to do very much. Although improved driveability / throttle response, etc., seems to justify an aftermarket hi flow filter/intake, regardless of performance. But that's just my opinion.

I recall Todd at Guzzitech said that he did some runs to see what works best... I don't remember him mentioning having tested pods. Todd if you are reading, please chime in. I don't want to misquote you.

I've done numerous dyno tests on both the Cal motors and V11S'. My documented Cal mods on GuzziTech shows gains for each mod done; http://www.guzzitech.com/EVPower-Todd_E.html - this holds true on most all V11S motors I tested as well. Contrary to beliefs, I tested the Sport-i, Daytona RS, and Centauros with modded airbox -VS- individual pod filters and saw NO appreciable gains. Best bet is to go with a lidless stock airbox. There are many discussions on why pulling intake air from a stilled-air plenum... that even Ferracci sticks to ***though I did see in Moto-Euro about (mis)claims by Ferracci about ind. pods***, call him and ask his opinion direct for reinforcement.

Best bet always is intake and exhaust mods at the same time, as stated by jimbemotumbo above as well.

My $.02,

ToddGuzziTech.com

I went with the pods because:

1) I was doing that whole fuel-pump relo thing, but now is irrelevant with the 2003 tank

2) They look cool :sun:

3) And this bothers me...

From Todd's article referenced above:

*A noisy note: The "open-lid" airbox gives a near deafening honk at full throttle... as it probably tries to suck the paint off the bottom of the tank.

If they perform about the same, I personally prefer pods.. mostly just for looks than anything else

:D

I also went for the looks, Plus it was hard enough to get the box out without any concerns, if I had to be nice and then modify it, agh. It sounds better now and looks nice street fighter bad @$$ lets say. Who cares if it doesn't do jack as long as you like it. :bier:

"racing stripes add 5hp" :grin:

I've done numerous dyno tests on both the Cal motors and V11S'. My documented Cal mods on GuzziTech shows gains for each mod done;

43632[/snapback]

Hi Todd,

But was a modified intake done in the presence of a stock exhaust? The Guzzitech article implies that the crossover and exhaust were changed before the intake.

Jason