My eagle is missing

Guest Nogbad

why does everything through Guzzi have to be so astronomically expensive? I just don't get it. if you built one of these bikes from a parts manifest it'd cost you a kazillion dollars. I know its a money maker for them and expensive to make and store spares in the long run, but Jesus they are high buck

44733[/snapback]

And the irony is that we are usually cheap bast*rds. LOL.

Guest Nogbad

I don't think Guzzi spares are that pricey compared with Jap plastic crotch rocket spares! Generally, spares for the Guzzi seem about half the price of spares for my previous Suzuki.

OK, I realise I am probably going to be buying 4 x as many of them if stuff I read on here is half true...... :huh2:

It is true that it is all "relative" but $90-ish bucks for spark plug wires, or brake/clutch levers that are twice as expensive as the exact same part from Ducati :huh2:

.... and the fuel pump from my FJ1200 was $250, which I thought was ridiculous, until I heard the pump on 2002 and earlier Sport/LeMans were over $400 :blink:

al

Guest Nogbad

I shall have to put loads of miles on it as fast as I can before the ravages of time cause too much degeneration.

One big diff over the Jap bikes is "aftermarket" they have tons and tons of the crap we have very little, scho schmall they might say is our options that ppl are resorting to having things milled I can't imagine the cost in having all your parts made!! :blink: But my crap suzuki (not crappy at all but too small for me) had allll kinds of aftermarket support and the thing was not a big run bike the marauder was only made for 4 years I think and not exactly a huge seller but I still had 4 X as many aftermarket options :huh2: I thought I would be happy with this bike forever, but I have a similar affliction to everyone on this board "I could make it just a little bit better, They have the technology" and it just keeps playing over and over in the back of my mind until I get it and then go So, what else they got?

....also true, and a point well taken.

However one other perspective to consider is that a large percentage of the aftermarket for mass-market sportbikes are pretty cheaply made, where the few options for our bikes... by their limited nature... are generally of fairly high quality.

Obviously this is something of a generalization, but I think that in many cases it is a quantity versus quality scenario.... as the only people biting the bullet(and in some cases making very little money) to make accessories for our bikes, embark upon doing so with a good dash of passion, versus pure profit motivation :huh2:

But in all things, YMMV depending on just which "farkle" we are talking about :D

You know, in some ways I wish there were more alternatives for various parts out there, but that would just make getting them more tempting :rolleyes: Plus, I count our blessings in the relatively huge number or accessories we have now-a-days as compared to just a few years ago when the Sport, and even a couple years later when the V11 LeMans was released in 2002.

Heck, even in 2002, Throttlemeister officially didn't have a model that fit, and things like high-comp pistons, tail-light/fender eliminators, and airbox kits didn't exist :blink:

The start of this forum in 2002 was the genesis of many such grass-roots driven products, and the mind-share that made Ohlins conversions and other projects now a paint-by-numbers affair :thumbsup: .... which prior, were one-offs, or yet to be attempted by some brave trail-blazer :luigi:

al