FBF open airbox

Mr. Bean

I had this question a while back but got sidetracked by other stuff on the bike. Does anyone here have any experience with an open top airbox, either the FBF one or homebuilt on a V11 Sport? I'm really interested specifically in the Sport, Cafe Sport, Ballabio etc rther than the LeMans. I have a feeling looking at the LeMans fairing that it provides significantly more protection from rain than the Ballabio's flyscreen. I am interested in getting this mod but am concerned about rain water soaking the filter or worse.

Randy

Randy, I can't say that I've ridden my v11 in a down pour since I sliced and diced an extra lid....but I wouldn't really worry about it. The rain would have to be tremendous and blowing sideways under the tank to do much (in which case I would find an overpass to hide under). I have one of the "other v-twins" with an air induction that is completely exposed to the elements, I haven't had any problems in moderate rain....though the K&N needs to be recharged afterwards.

Randy, I can't say that I've ridden my v11 in a down pour since I sliced and diced an extra lid....but I wouldn't really worry about it.  The rain would have to be tremendous and blowing sideways under the tank to do much (in which case I would find an overpass to hide under).  I have one of the "other v-twins" with an air induction that is completely exposed to the elements, I haven't had any problems in moderate rain....though the K&N needs to be recharged afterwards.

46057[/snapback]

I have run with an open airbox and the standard paper filter since last summer with no problems. Compared to the exposed pods that so many have fitted, the airbox filter is well out of the weather.